Way to manoeuvre wheelchair in tight space

I am probably going to have that available on the day too!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not noticeably. Problem there is that the occupant projects from the front and feet hit the wall!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Polythene against polythene slides wonderfully. Rubble bags do nicely - binbags dont last long.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have some very heavy duty polythene - somewhere.

Reply to
Bob Eager

DPC sheet is probably the easiest heavy duty polythene to get hold of and quite cheap. However, you can also buy it in rigid sheets, if the idea works. I used to use 1 inch thick polythene as work tops for tables in a clean room.

Reply to
Nightjar

Hospitals and care homes use (or used to I believe) a heavy guage plastic sheet to slide patients in/ onto/ from beds and trolleys.

Or how about two sheets of groundsheet type material -(one square to park the chair on and slide it along longer second piece) with shiny sides facing (Perhaps with silicon spray to reduce friction)

JTM

Nightjar

An HD Lazy Susan - dead cheap now.

450kg capacity, 12" diameter, and easily platformed to allow a chair to roll on.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've had a look, and if the turntable is made round the chair won't get all four wheels on. If I make it bigger, there's no room to rotate. Just a bit more space and that would be a good solution!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks. That looks a similar material to the stuff used in the Sliderz mentioned earlier.

I've decided to order some small Sliderz and try them out. We'll need these in two weeks' time for a Christmas party!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The turntable does not have to be round. It only needs to be rectangular and of a size to take all four wheels. You may not even need to turn the wheelchair a full 90 degrees for it to be able to get around the corner.

Alternatively, a rectangular tray the wheelchair can be driven onto with large castor wheels fitted, rather like a car crawling dolly, would allow you to manoeuvre it around as you like.

Reply to
Nightjar

In article , Nightjar

A quick, improvised method might be to drive each wheel on to a glossy magazine.

Reply to
Chris Holford

I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 12/12/2014 23:41, Bob Eager wrote: ...

It sounds like moving house is going to be the simplest solution.

Reply to
Nightjar

Just so that we can get our heads round the space limitations, are you saying that, even if you had a device capable of rotating the whole chair about a pivot point, in doing so it would foul some structure?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

There is a way of removing one of the corners but I'd rather not.

I'll see how the Sliderz go. Turns out theer are a couple of the big ones at work so I took a look. I've ordered a set of four small ones.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I take it you have tried reversing? Last time I sat waiting in a Waitrose *minimal spacing* car park, I was impressed by the ladies backing their Chelsea tractors into impossible slots!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes. It has to be a sort of incremental manoeuvre, I think. We;ve done it in the past by driving round the corner as far as possible, then lifting the back round a bit, then going backwards a bit, then forwards on full lock, then lifting the back round....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Umm.. try reversing. Once the rear wheels are entered, a bit of shunting should get the rest through?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Would require a lot of very fine control, and a lot of backing and filling. The occupant isn't up to that (and gets flustered!)

Reply to
Bob Eager