Wheelchair ramp

I need to build a wheelchair ramp to cover a drop of about 180mm for a frie nd. Having spoken to the metal workshop, it's not much cheaper than just bu ying a plastic one, so I'm looking at building a ramp out of decking inste ad (it only needs to last for 6 months).

The base at the moment is gravel. My plan is to

  • Scrape out the gravel
  • If the grounds looks solid, use it. Otherwise put some concrete pads down
  • Dig out a bit at the bottom of the ramp, so that I don't need to taper th e decking to nothing.
  • cut some tapering base pieces from PT, for a in 1 in 12 gradient
  • add cross-braces at the bottom of the frame
  • place smooth decking on top, width-ways
  • Add some edging pieces to stop the wheel chair falling off sideways* Oil the decking
  • Add grip strips (or possibly just use walk sure decking in the first pla ce)

Since it's a temporary measure, and also need to be in quickly, I do not pl an on building a balustrade, or a landing. If we do need one later, I'll pi ck up the whole ramp, move it, and put the landing in the middle!

I'm aware that this will rot at the bottom end, but I don't see it as likel y to disintegrate over one winter. Any other problems people can see?

Reply to
bblaukopf

It'll work well enough.

It might be as quick to just make a ramp out of hardcore and sand, then put some slabs down on that. Unless there's a reason you need it to be removable, say because the landlord wants everything reinstated as it was at the end of a lease.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , snipped-for-privacy@airsource.co.uk writes

To be honest, given that it is only for six months, I would buy a folding aluminium one. I had to buy one for my shop [1], and it worked fine although was only used once! Cost was less than a hundred pounds.

[1] Local 'darling' who did not use my shop before becoming disabled complained about lack of disabled wheelchair access. I duly purchased the ramp, and she made a point of using it. Once. Never came again. No one else ever requested the ramp, although there were large signs advertising availability, and a bell to request use.
Reply to
News

Having chatted to his wife, I've come to much the same conclusion. She cares more about just having someone sort it out for her than the end price (which will be eventually paid by the insco of the car that hit him....)

The only question I'm trying to work out now is - recommended gradient is 1 in 12 for a wheelchair ramp - but what gradient can I get away with given he will always have assistance?

Reply to
bblaukopf

Just found this:

1:5 tops for manual assisted.
Reply to
bblaukopf

Just to say...we have a folding aluminium one as we have a disabled friend who visits half a dozen times a year. It works well for getting to the house, then we move it for a single step down elsewhere in the house. It's a short one (low step) and was about £40. Got it at CPC!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , snipped-for-privacy@airsource.co.uk writes

Sadly, I cannot remember the gradient of the one I had, and cannot check, as it is in use elsewhere.

Reply to
News

If you are doing it properly you need a 4' square level landing outside the door. Most people will find it hard to keep a wheel chair stable on a ramp whilst operating the door.

Reply to
dennis

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 11:45:02 AM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@airsource.co.uk w rote:

iend. Having spoken to the metal workshop, it's not much cheaper than just buying a plastic one, so I'm looking at building a ramp out of decking ins tead (it only needs to last for 6 months).

paving slabs. If needed. Wood pads would last 6 months.

the decking to nothing.

Probably no need.

I'm unclear what you mean there. The sheet material will brace it. When I d id a quick lightweight ramp I used ply with 2 sticks screwed on, nothing el se underneath.

l the decking

The edging may be all the frame you need

Or varnish plus a light sprinkle of sand. Over-grip can itself cause falls though.

plan on building a balustrade, or a landing. If we do need one later, I'll pick up the whole ramp, move it, and put the landing in the middle!

ely to disintegrate over one winter. Any other problems people can see?

Believe it needs to be 1 in 12 for a wheelchair.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Whatever the assistant can cope with, which is usually not much steeper than 1:12. Most find going down more difficult than going up and wheelchair "brakes" are really just devices to stop them moving when parked, not to control them on an incline.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That is because most people push the chair down the slope and have to pull at it to slow it down. Going first and backing it down is far more controllable.

Reply to
Nightjar