Re: Scottish Government plans to cut VAT rateT

Hot pies?

Reply to
Jimk

Scottish Government plans to cut VAT rate

===

I thought she was going to increase all taxes when the UK refused to give her a few billion £s more!

Reply to
Ophelia

I don't think she's planning to cut Scottish VAT independently. I think this proposal is for the whole of the UK to cut VAT.

Reply to
GB

On what ?. Chocolate hobnobs ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Do take-away deep-fried mars bars have a double rate of VAT ?

Reply to
Andrew

Irn Bru

Reply to
Mike McLeod

I don't think she's planning to cut Scottish VAT independently. I think this proposal is for the whole of the UK to cut VAT.

==

Ahh thanks, GB! That makes more sense!

Reply to
Ophelia

don't care holding off any big purchase 'till then ......

==

Good idea!

Reply to
Ophelia

The giant chocolate biscuits?

Reply to
GB

Bucky?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It doesn't really. If she wants more money for public services (and more for Scotland from the UK Exchequer) what taxes does she want to put up to compensate for less VAT income?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

VAT is a good little earner, it's a tax that even the unemployed and visitors have to pay, so is unlikely to be got at.

Reply to
Smolley

There'll be a lot of English shopping in Scotland then?

Reply to
harry

The asylum seekers are paid for by the Home Office.

Anyway, I like having a Syrian cake shop, a Syrian restaurant, and a Syrian barbers.

Before the Syrian cake shop arrived, a Greggs fudge doughnut was the height of patisserie sophistication within 40 miles. Not that I'm knocking Greggs fudge doughnuts; in comparison to Greggs a Bayne's fudge doughnut is a cowpat topped with cuckoo-spit.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

With base rate at 0.1%, and inflation above base rate for over

10 years, that is happening every, slowly but surely. All part of a deliberate Treasury plan in 2009 to remove peoples savings,

- the ones who didn't pile into property and global stocks and shares that is.

Reply to
Andrew

Only on luxuries like caravans, boats and yank tanks :-)

Reply to
Andrew

You need some Vietnamese then, they do very good French bread and patisseries, apart from proper Vietnamese food.

Reply to
Andrew

I think he prefers something liquid -

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8570359,-4.2597059,3a,84.1y,288.24h,96.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srtlKs_tpgHDHgqtZq1cMkg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Reply to
Andrew

VAT in scandinavia is between 23 and 25% !

It's a nice little earner for my neighbour who sold his MOT/repair shop

12 years ago but is still working, fixing cars on his drive, mostly for his long standing customers. He charges VAT on the retail price of parts, whihc is typically double the trade price, and just pockets it.

I suspect this practice is widespread.

His customers never seem to query the hand-written 'invoice', but then I'm always amazed at how many people fall for the scam where someone claiming to be a detective phones up and says they are trying to catch a fraudster at the bank and the target must withdraw £thousands in cash and hand it to an 'undercover detective' who will come to their house.

Reply to
Andrew

Since when has the Home Office had any money of its own?

Reply to
alan_m