Women

Cash or kind?

Reply to
Jim K..

Just been to sort out an alarm sensor.

Whilst I was there she asked if I could look at her fridge as the top of the fridge had gone dark.

A nice new fridge with just one light halfway down the fridge.

I took a look and then asked her when the top of the fridge went dark.

She replied "When I put a baking tray on that shelf" and pointed to the baking tray on the shelf just above the light.

Reply to
ARW

This isn't just "women", though. She's just extraordinarily unpractical. Let's be kind and not jump to conclusions that she's really, really stupid, although that may be true, too. Women don't have a monopoly on being stupid/unpractical.

Reply to
GB

While

Reply to
Chris Green

Or whilst. Since they are interchangeable.

Reply to
R D S

I also fixed her new freezer. The brand new one in the garage that would not work.

I pressed the ON button.

Total cost for my kindness on a Saturday (a 1 hour 20 minute 50 mile round trip and 20 minutes of work) was £60.

The door contact cost a quid.

Reply to
ARW

Had an embarrassing incident recently when Currys came to install a new washing machine. The mains lead for the old machine appeared to come up through the kitchen top through a small hole to plug into the socket behind the desk top dishwasher.

So, quick as a flash, to assist in removing the old appliance, I cut off the plug so that the cable could be pulled back through, but when the old machine was pulled forward, it was still plugged in; plugged in to a single extension socket below the kitchen top; an extension socket that no no longer had a plug on the end. :-)

Luckily the Currys crew were able to laugh with me and were patient enough to wait for me to re-attach the plug above the kitchen top.

I had completely forgotten that at some time in the past I'd put in the extension to save cutting a huge hole to pass a plug through into the (then) new kitchen top. :-(

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

How did you get the extension lead plug through the hole?

Reply to
ARW

I complained to Currys that a new washing machine was leaking. It turned out that the drain was blocked and there was nothing wrong with the washing machine. We can all have embarrassing moments.

Maybe not quite as bad as my late father when the car ignition key stopped working. He took to pressing the red button on the solenoid instead. On one occasion he forgot the car was in gear so when he pressed the button the car lurched forward and knocked him into a steel fence - in the hospital carpark.

Reply to
Scott

He didn't. He removed the trailing socket, fed the cable through .... ;)

Reply to
GB

I don't know about your time, but surely the mileage cost on a large van must come to the best part of £1 a mile? Round here, the minicab drivers seem to charge a couple of ££ per mile.

Reply to
GB

Your logic is flawed. It would have cost about £33 for a private hire vehicle to take me there and then the driver returns home without a customer and still makes a living.

Reply to
ARW
8<

You would think it was just as easy to put a short channel in the wall and replace the socket with a spare and avoid drilling the top.

Reply to
dennis

dennis@home wrote on 13/07/2019 :

Perhaps tiled?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

trailing or trolling socket?

Reply to
ARW

Plug, socket and cable were threee separate components. Socket is in a wall-mounted pattress.

Cable fed through before plug attached.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

No. Wasn't a modern moulded=on plug. Plug, socket and cable were three separate components to start with.

With an electrical / electronic junk box going back 50 years, I'm not short of a non-moulded plug or two.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

Many ways to skin a cat, but drilling a kitchen top is trivial compared to the masonry work of channelling a wall, especially when the kitchen top is already in place.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

Long masonry drill through the bottom of the box at an angle folloed by one from the bottom so they meet.

Reply to
dennis

27 years ago when the kitchen was done out, the washing machine then did not have a moulded on plug so it was a simple matter to drill through the kitchen top to take the cable and fit the plug on afterwards.

When the first machine with a moulded on plug arrived, then just as simple to use the existing hole to thread the extension cable.

Thanks for your input but you just illustrate that there are indeed many ways to skin a cat.