Women

The expansion and contraction in a brake disk is so small you would find it hard to measure. There should be more than enough tention in the handbrake mechanism to compensate for the tiny change. Compare the coefficient of expansion in a 25mm thick disk with the amout of streatching you get in the cable and you will see that that could never happen on a properly applied handbrake.

Anyway we are talking about the case wher the hanbrake has been applied and has released itself all the way to the bottom.

That depends on where the pivot point is. They have to be designed so they will release when you want to go.

Reply to
dennis

Twisty as in corners that vary from 2nd gear hair pins to sweeping top gear ones, along with decent straight sections and often the abilty to see whats coming several bends ahead. It's 5 miles and

1300' decent of lovely "driving road",

The only time I've not had vacuum for the brakes is when the engine hasn't been running, which also makes the steering "interesting".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How do you think brake servos on cars work then?

Reply to
dennis

Its Tim he is the dim one, he even calls the other Tim dim because he thinks he knows everything when in reality he is about as dumb as rod.

Reply to
dennis

optional for

Oh I'm aware of them, from 20 odd years ago when the kids were little. The rules have changed since then. What's this ISO fix stuff? Disabling front seat passenger airbag?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mostly true because with vacuum you can get at most one atmosphere of pressure, whereas with compressed air you can get several atmospheres.

Both systems can suffer from delays if the brake pressure (either vacuum or compressed air) is provided at one ned by the engine, and that is the speed, or lack of speed, with which changes in pressure propagate down the length of a train.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

No, but I'd be interested in your opinion of the price of eggs in a free market economy.

Reply to
John Kenyon

ISO fix is just standardise mount points for car seats so they are easy to interchange between cars.

Disabling the passenger seat air bag is to stop them killing the baby in the rear facing child seat that many use.

I had a child seat in my car 34 years ago. And it was fitted correctly unlike the load of idiots that use them these days.

Reply to
dennis

I have never had a problem steering a car without power steering as long as its moving. It is a right pain when stationary.

Reply to
dennis

Standardised attachment points for child seats.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No-one does that these days !!. Even the 'engage low gear' warning signs on steep hills have long since gone.

Brake pads and cheaper to replace than gearboxes.

Reply to
Andrew

Unless they have a diesel engine (cars that is)

Reply to
Andrew

Special adhesive to glue the ankle-biters bums to the seats.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Old habits die hard, and I still as a matter of course double declutch when changing down on a steep hill.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

Diesel cars still use vacuum assistance for their brakes, it?s just not freely available from the inlet manifold.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Child seats? AKA Mothers knee in those days.

1977 was probably about the time I first drove a car. I was born in 1970.

It was not a very good drive and it scared the shit out of my Dad. He had left me and my brother sat in the car (with crisps and pop) and gone into the pub for a pint (and in those days it was probably 5 or 6). He also left the car keys in the ignition. Kids will be kids.

Reply to
ARW

Vacuum brakes have the advantage that they 'fail safe' when the hoses break, for example if a wagon detaches itself.

Reply to
Max Demian

You used to learn how to manoeuvre a car without steering while the wheels are actually stationary, which would wear the tyres in any case.

Reply to
Max Demian

As I found out at a funeral.

It was agreed that I would take two people who had walked to the crematorium back to the wake that I was not attending.

I had no car at the time so I borrowed my Mums. Two Grandchildren and two cars seat meant that did not happen as I did not know how to remove the seats. I transferred the passengers to another car that was at the funeral and set off to swap the car for the van and go back to work.

Now no one had told me that the two people who had walked to the crematorium had a car full of visitors from Kent attending the funeral and they did not know where the wake was and that they were told to follow me. They did, all the way to my parents house.

Reply to
ARW

You can make pressurised ones do the same but you can have stronger springs and better braking.

Reply to
dennis