Builders and electrics

So they need to remove some lights to take down a ceiling at a school.

Not a problem, turn the lights off at the switch and then just cut one of the three T&E cables going to the first light.

"I don't understand why it went bang I had turned off the lights"

Reply to
ARW

"To keep it safe until the ceiling was re-boarded and new rose was fitted I connected all the red wires together and all the black wires together"

Reply to
Andy Burns

That would be covered by a full Method Statement and Risk Assessment, then.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Indeed not:-). Things would have been taken further if I had not lied for the builders "loose connection in the light fitting that they caught with their ladders guv".

Actually I was the only one to get into trouble that day. I went to the the DB to turn the power back on without an escort (this is a working primary school).

Reply to
ARW

Yes well if they don't know then they should ask somebody who does. I would have thought that people in the building trade ought to know that the unstitched live is always present at the light socket as well, how do they think it got there? Black magic?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not like the guy who decided that when there were a lot of power cuts he would simply wire a 13amp plug to the end of his generator and plug it in a spare socket. I am glad I was not at his house when the power came back on or indeed when he left the plug lying around with the generator running. OK so he turned the mains off, but well, I mean. No idea of what current stuff uses. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Probably the kids knew more than the builders in that case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut off: A cable with a plug each end.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, but an unaccompanied male will automatically shag any primary school child he comes across..

Reply to
Max Demian

The DNOs have this sort of kit, with safeguards, for exactly this purpose.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It's called a"Jesus cord". If you're going to do it, the mains has to be turned off to isolate you from everywhere else while your local generator is running

The danger is you can have a cable with a plug on the end with live pins.

Reply to
harry

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Reply to
ARW

Where the f*ck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's probably to protect him against accusations of "inappropriate behaviour" by the brats.

Reply to
Huge

113 primary school pupils with an exclusion reason of physical assault against an adult in year 16/17.

Not Tower Hamlets.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That and they can also be look out so my tools are not stolen.

Reply to
ARW

:o(

Reply to
Huge

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light switch (leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch into the urinal and then shit on it.

Reply to
ARW

If it were up to me, that's how it would stay, too.

Reply to
Huge

Even if it was in the teachers' loo?

Reply to