Builders and electrics

Jesus...

Reply to
Tim Watts

But at least the teachers are no longer allowed to apply corporal punishment...

Reply to
Tim Watts

If one of them tried to assault me I would respond with a lot more force than they were expecting.

It is as Hugh says, to stop allegations.

Reply to
ARW

Maybe you should invest in one of those body cams like the police and high-court bailiffs wear ?.

Could be useful for any situation where the client shows signs of amnesia or is unable to make a firm decision.

Reply to
Andrew

Must be all this new-fangled Aspergers syndrome that seems to be the fashion these days amongst educationalists.

When I was in school we just used to nick the light bulbs and lob them into the cistern above the urinal, so they made a nice clinking noise as it flushed.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes I can see that. It's a sad world we live in now... I had to have a DBS just to help a school with editing some fete photos (really!) and off site. I was never unaccompanied on school premises.

Reply to
Tim Watts

s/sad/stupid/

Serves no purpose whatever other than to placate the Rantzens of this world.

Reply to
Max Demian

Aka a "Jesus cord". I'm not sure of its origin which I think is American but two possibilities spring to mind,

"A JESUS H. CHRIST!" that was a nasty shock "Cord" (120vac if I'm right about its American origin) or else named for the moment after it electrocutes you and you get to say "Hi Jesus! What an unexpected surprise!". :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

In the hall of residence we only had 2A round pin sockets, 3 or 4 rooms shared a single fuse. The fuse was easily blown. Someone had the bright idea of doing exactly the above. Shame that the rooms that he had wired together were on different phases when the power came back on.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

One school I worked at someone shat in the staffroom kettle.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Oh we did that a couple of weeks ago.

Reply to
ARW

:)

York Uni did that in some of the blocks - only I think it was the whole corridor that went black when someone put a toaster on!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think they have Jesus Bolts on Helicopters and a Jesus pins on Hang gliders. Maybe the name depends on the cultural religion ?

Reply to
Robert

Jesus Nut on a Huey - according to the book I've just read (Chickehawk).

And I have heard that elsewhere.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Last year our middle son performed a major role in his primary school's year 6 leaving play, with lots of lines, a number of songs and a couple of solo sections - this was particularly significant for us as he'd had confidence issues after a prolonged period of bullying and had only moved schools the year before.

Parents, grandparents, etc. (as usual) were allowed to film, as long as they agreed not to put it on the internet. However, one parent managed to arrange for his nephew (a final year cinematography student) to film it for us all. The school barred him, because they wouldn't accept him editing the video off the premises - despite parents being able to take their recordings home and him being a relative!

Instead, the school arranged to record it for us, so no-one else bothered. During the first performance, they messed up the recording and during the second, the battery died.

They said they'd try and edit the two perfomances together. Nothing ever appeared and we are left with no video, just a few stills that I took myself.

Next year, our youngest will be leaving the same school. I will ensure that I video his performance myself!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

How I wish that corporal punishment still existed! It was abolished shortly before I left school. In my first year at secondary school, there was very little misbehaviour. CP was abolished while I was there. By my final year, behaviour had deteriorated markedly.

The only problem with it for me was that although I only received it once - I was not actually guilty of what I'd been accused of!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I think the etymology in these cases arises out of what you'd scream out loud if they were to fail catastrophically. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

With the way schools are having to rely on sponsorship deals to mitigate inadequate state funding, they may be allowed to inflict corporate punishment instead.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I though it was based on who you'd be meeting next if it failed? Maybe they should be called St Peter nuts?

Reply to
Andy Burns

happens regularly at cheaper hotels, so I've heard.

Reply to
Andrew