Builders and electrics

So they need to remove some lights to take down a ceiling at a school.
Not a problem, turn the lights off at the switch and then just cut one of the three T&E cables going to the first light.
"I don't understand why it went bang I had turned off the lights"
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

"To keep it safe until the ceiling was re-boarded and new rose was fitted I connected all the red wires together and all the black wires together"
Not like the guy who decided that when there were a lot of power cuts he would simply wire a 13amp plug to the end of his generator and plug it in a spare socket. I am glad I was not at his house when the power came back on or indeed when he left the plug lying around with the generator running. OK so he turned the mains off, but well, I mean. No idea of what current stuff uses. Brian
--
----- -
On 21/04/2018 20:52, Brian Gaff wrote:

A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut off: A cable with a plug each end.
--
Max Demian

On Saturday, 21 April 2018 23:08:08 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:

The DNOs have this sort of kit, with safeguards, for exactly this purpose.
Owain
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:08:02 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

Aka a "Jesus cord". I'm not sure of its origin which I think is American but two possibilities spring to mind,
"A JESUS H. CHRIST!" that was a nasty shock "Cord" (120vac if I'm right about its American origin) or else named for the moment after it electrocutes you and you get to say "Hi Jesus! What an unexpected surprise!". :-)
--
Johnny B Good

On 22/04/2018 19:07, Johnny B Good wrote:

I think they have Jesus Bolts on Helicopters and a Jesus pins on Hang gliders. Maybe the name depends on the cultural religion ?
On 22/04/2018 22:40, Robert wrote:

Jesus Nut on a Huey - according to the book I've just read (Chickehawk).
And I have heard that elsewhere.
SteveW
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 22:44:25 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

I think the etymology in these cases arises out of what you'd scream out loud if they were to fail catastrophically. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

Johnny B Good wrote:

I though it was based on who you'd be meeting next if it failed? Maybe they should be called St Peter nuts?

In the hall of residence we only had 2A round pin sockets, 3 or 4 rooms shared a single fuse. The fuse was easily blown. Someone had the bright idea of doing exactly the above. Shame that the rooms that he had wired together were on different phases when the power came back on.
--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
On 22/04/2018 20:00, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

Oh we did that a couple of weeks ago.
--
Adam

On 22/04/18 20:00, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

:)
York Uni did that in some of the blocks - only I think it was the whole corridor that went black when someone put a toaster on!
On Saturday, 21 April 2018 20:52:55 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

It's called a"Jesus cord". If you're going to do it, the mains has to be turned off to isolate you from everywhere else while your local generator is running
The danger is you can have a cable with a plug on the end with live pins.
On Saturday, 21 April 2018 15:38:54 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

That would be covered by a full Method Statement and Risk Assessment, then.
Owain
On 21/04/2018 17:09, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Indeed not:-). Things would have been taken further if I had not lied for the builders "loose connection in the light fitting that they caught with their ladders guv".
Actually I was the only one to get into trouble that day. I went to the the DB to turn the power back on without an escort (this is a working primary school).
--
Adam

Probably the kids knew more than the builders in that case. Brian
--
----- -
On 21/04/2018 20:54, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes, but an unaccompanied male will automatically shag any primary school child he comes across..
--
Max Demian

On 21/04/2018 23:10, Max Demian wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.
--
Adam

On 22/04/18 08:34, ARW wrote:

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?