Brass connections on drain rods - any stuff to protect them

Ah, the joys of having flu and blocked drains . . . .

So, it might be because I'm a bit under the weather today, but as I was cleaning off my drain rods(#1) after succesfully (HURRAH!) clearing a blocked drain, I started obsessing that the brass bits that screw together look a bit pitted.

Anything I should do to preserve their good looks, or should I just not worry?

#1 One of my best investments over the years, and only purchased because some obnoxious git came round to clear my drains and sneered at me because I didn't have any. I didn't need telling twice, and I hope he's gone bust.

Martin @ Strawberry Hill

Reply to
usenet

Put it down to the flu. Mine are donkey's years old, a bit pitted, but they still work fine!

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

no real need but some Vaseline would do

Reply to
mrcheerful

I wouldn't let the vaseline near the threads. I once 'lost' a sewer rod and it was a bugger of a job to dig out the drain to remove it.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

but you always turn them clockwise to prevent loss

Reply to
mrcheerful

How does vaseline help a properly used drian rod set unscrew? Never, ever, twist a drain rod set counter clockwise or a joint will unscrew vaselined or not.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Which reminds me - I *must* buy a set of those bolt together ones.

Reply to
Huge