Perennial - Drain rods

Are all drain rods the same? Are some "better" than others - or are they all much of a muchness for the occasional user.

Seen some sold by Amazon at half the price of the "sheds"

what about man hole keys

these the same as inspection cover keys?

Advice and usual bantet/experiences welcome

Noz

PS - reason I'm looking is that the neighbour who has the rods (Mr Rods we call him around here) has just sold his house and is moving in three weeks.

Reply to
Nozza

There are two types of drain rods. The ones in the link are general DIY type and if you are not careful and turn them the wrong way they come disconnected. The better quality one has a locking system to prevent them coming unscrewed. You might have a job finding a set of the latter type and may have to order them from a builder's merchant.

Keith

Reply to
Kipper at sea

But even a cheap set can be absolutely invaluable (as long as you bear in mind their unscrewing potential). I've cleared many a drain with mine and saved myself hundreds of pounds in callout charges.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

cleaning gutters without constantly moving the ladder.

The Wickes set includes the drop scraper for £19.

Never used either. Be a real bloke & use a pry bar/screwdriver :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I laid a load of cable in some service tunnels that linked buildings at a hospital.

I had to use 4 different sizes of manhole keys to get the various lids open.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks for the replies - really appreciate the effort.

Reckon I'll take the plunge. The rods I borrowed didn't lock and did the job nicely. "Flash Wipes" were the problem and I don't think neighbour will be flushing them anymore - but seeing how useful a set were I thought I would invest - hopefully never needing to use them.

Noz

Reply to
Nozza