Alkathene pipe & stop tap question.

Currently refitting the bathroom down at Mum's 70's bungalow.

Main water supply comes in to a stop tap in the bathroom, below the LHS of the toilet cistern. New cistern has the inlet on the RHS so I was thinking of moving the stop tap to the right for a neater job. Anyway, this afternoon, I had to quickly rip out the old bog and lift the floor boards as I thought I had a leak under the floor*. Anyway, I now know the incoming supply is a black plastic pipe, 22mmm OD, presumably the old alkathene stuff.

Question is, do I need special fittings for this or will just fit a normal 22mm compression stop-tap? Can 1/4 turn ball valves be used in this position (more reliable?)

*Leak turned out to be inside the body (i.e. cold to hot) of the new bath mixer. Grrrr.
Reply to
Steven Briggs

The pipe is more likely 20mm OD. UNless you measured it accurately in which case I apologize.

Whatever you do any form of compression fitting on plastic pipe needs a support insert in the end.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Ed Sirett writes

Dead on 22mm, measured with verniers. As the pipe was painted above floor level, I had assumed it was copper until I pulled up the floor boards and saw it was actually black plastic. A google revealed a couple of threads suggesting this stuff is very thick walled, so I not sure it does need an insert, or if a standard 22m olive will do the job.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

The blue stuff is certainly 20/25/32mm.

A push fit type joint will likely be better than a compression one if you have no support inserts.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

These pipes come in different thicknesses, one more heavy duty than the other. Well, in Ireland and France they do, I assume also in the UK. The fittings for them are easily available in plumbers merchants and agricultural suppliers, and you would also get a fitting where one end goes onto the alkathene and into which you can screw a fitting for copper into the other end if necessary. I bought a 1/4 turn one recently, but I'm sure you would get a tap type aswell. Probably just as easy and no more/not much more expensive than an ordinary fitting.

Holly

Reply to
Holly, in France

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ed Sirett saying something like:

The really thick-walled 22mm stuff can be used with an olive and no insert... I have one outside that's being resisting mains pressures of up to 10bar for 6 years.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon