"fixing" a mixer tap mini-leak

Hello,

Thanks for all the help on other questions. So here's another one.

My sink has a "mono-bloc" mixer tap fitted (i.e. all-in-one piece, two taps at base, a single pipe that "swivels" on the body). At the point where the outlet pipe meets the "body" of the tap, I have noticed a slight water leak. The leak occurs only when I move the "outlet pipe" (sorry don't know the correct term - it is all a "tap" to me). The leak only lasts a couple of seconds. I want to reuse the tap mixer when I replace the sink. Now, at the back of the "outlet pipe" is what looks like a tiny screw. Can I undo the screw remove the pipe, replace some washer then reassemble? Do I need to shut the water mains supply before doing this? The brilliant plumber who installed the CH put in a stop-c*ck insidi the flat - easily accessible, never seizes - unlike the two external stop-c**ks.

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive Long,UK

The ones I have used have a spigot (?) that is basically a section of tube, with three groivves cut in, two O-rings go in the outer groove and teh screw you mentioned goes in the central one to hold it in.

Cheap ones always seem to leak: A critical clearance is needed between inner oute and O-rings, and, of course, and limescale buildup will disturb the seal. Disassempby and deasclaing, new O-rings and plenty of silicone GREASE will ofetn stop them, but if its always done it, its probably worth getting a new one.

(off topic> There ought to be an awatrd for the most overstyled 'form follows fashion' useless rubbish on the retail shelves..I#ll star with te short lived pacakging of Waitrose 'own brand' washing up liquid, where you HAD to put the cap back on, becasue it was stored on its flat cap upside down. So instead of grab-upend-squeeze-replace you had grab-upend-remove cap with teeth-upend-squeeze-put cap on with teeth-upend-replace.

Going from 4 to 7 sepearate actions, two of which are not doable single handed, and increasing the likelihood of detergent spillage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had the same problem with my mixer tap. When I opened it up, the O rings were D rings, because they were worn. When I replaced them, it was a bit stiff, so I used silicone grease.

And you don't need to switch the water off to change them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

The question about how to attempt to fix a leak between the spout and the body of a mono-bloc tap has already been addressed in this group. I just did not do my home-work to try and find the answer before I posted the question

I cut and paste from earlier question / response:

*****************************************8

My kitchen sink mixer tap leaks where the "swan neck" joins the base.

Symptoms: When hot and cold taps are OFF, there is a very slow leak from the joint where the swan neck joins the base.

Diagnosis: Water in the swan neck must be leaking back out.

What I did: Removed the swan neck and replaced rubber O rings in the 3 grooves of the neck joint.

Testing: Turn on cold. OK. Turn on hot -- starts leaking *quickly* through the neck/base joint. Turn off both -- leaks slowly as before.

Questions:

  • Why does it leak if I turn on the hot tap, but not if I turn on the cold tap. As far as I can see, both hot and cold enter at the base and last up the swan neck.
  • If I buy a new mixer tap set, could I just slot the new neck into the old base?
  • If I had to refit the whole tap set, is it a job for someone with plumbing experience or is it possible to DIY?

Thanks Bruce

Then this follow-up

I've managed to fix this. I put *two* O rings in the middle groove in the neck. I used a really thin one + a normal size one.

And this for removing the neck / spout

I have just inherited an old kitchen set (10-15yrs) with a mixer tap (dual feed) that is better than the one in my kitchen. I have renewed washers OK but there seems to be an O ring on the centre outlet which leaks. There is a screw behind the outlet which I have removed, but I still can't pull it off (the screw seems to locate in a groove). There is no make on the tap and the base seems completely cast with no access. Are there any suggestions, such as giving it a big hammering! Thanks

The spout on my kitchen mixer tap has no screw or anything like that, BUT, if you turn the spout till it is lying straight across the cold tap, (the one on the left in my case) and then gently lift, it comes out through a keyway quite easily and no force.

Reply to
Clive Long,UK

Well,

I have tried to loosen the grub screw at the back of the spout, after applying liberal doses of lime-scale remover. The little screw is jammed solid.

Maybe the leak isn't that bad. And Ikea are selling a neat looking device for £39.

Trying to fix the "old" device probably isn't worth the effort and heart-ache. What a waste !

Clive

Reply to
Clive Long,UK

Have you tried leaving a kitchen towel or tissue soaked in limescale remover (or vinegar) wrapped around the intended area? I find limescale remover seems to drip off and escape.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Got the spout off eventually.

Order of events -

Limescale remover > limescale remover plus tissue > Screw driver >

WD40 > Screw driver > Screw driver plus hammer > Hammer plus swearing

Moral: the two most invaluable DIY tools: hammer and obscene language

Clive

Reply to
Clive Long,UK

In my experience you need to add a spare thumb or two - it helps form the connection between the hammer and obscene language.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Job done.

Replaced the two O-rings with 40 pence worth from the local plumbers merchant.

I levered the O-rings on - a heart stopping activity but I think they are quite elastic and robust.

I applied a tiny bit of grease over the O-rings - I know that sounds appaling on a drinking water tap but I remember the effort to get the spout OFF.

A little bit of heave-ho and on its goes.

A tiny dab of grease on the grub screw before it went back in to try to resist limescale and rust in future.

Presto! No leak. How long it will last - who knows? The design seems prone to wearing those O-rings but at least I know what to do in future if it leaks again. Better than 100 squid on a new tap - a diy dream.

Clive

Reply to
Clive Long,UK