Rayburn Supreme dismantling

I need to remove an old broken Rayburn Supreme Multifuel cooker/water heater in preparation for installing a new multifuel stove. Can anyone give me any tips on the best approach? I've disconnected the pipes and taken out all the obvious and easily removable bits--riddler, flue box, hot plate, oven lining, doors, etc. But I'd like to reduce the weight to a minimum before trying to get the thing out of the door. Looks like it might be possible to take the top and sides off, but the slotted bolts (under the chrome caps) that secure the top seem pretty well rusted in, and I don't know if there's anything else holding it in place.

Would be very grateful for advice from anyone who's had experience of stripping/removing Rayburns (or who knows how they're put together!).

Reply to
bodger

I just recently did the same to an old rayburn.

I drilled the top bolts, chrome things, and had to hack a bit of the pipework to the boiler and then the top lifted off and started removing the contents. There will be a lot of loose fill, well packed, which rayburn state categorically is not asbestos. (Do a google for the details, I had further response that stated it was either rockwool or fibreglass)

Anyway the loose fill comes out, after the top and the side/back panel. Then I took a cold chisel and lump hammer to cut various bolts to remove a few nore bits. Then I found that I could get it on some wooden rollers to shift it. By now its about a weight that two could lift and carry.

In hindsite I think I would of got some helpfull brute force (i.e. people) and better rollers planks etc and remove first.

I did break the seal to the floor, it had been leaking for a while, by puuting a trolley jack at a strange angle to the ash pan opening and pushing upwards.

Have you got the flue pipe off, thats heavy.

I suggest strongly also wear a good mask and protective clothing. Tape door to rest of house, hopefully this can go straight out a back door. I was also running my henry (with a bag in) a lot which helps capture the dust.

Hope this helps.

[The line from aga-rayburn is that prior to 1980 there was some small amounts of asbestos in door seals and hot plate seals, i.e. the ropes. But they have never used asbestos for loose fill]

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence