1953 Rayburn conversion solid fuel to bottled gas

Hello - I am new to this newsgroup and hope that someone might have a little bit of information to make hubby happy. We have just got hold of a 1953 Rayburn in original condition - but it is solid fuel. Hubby being a clever old stick and an a spark reckons he can convert to bottled gas. We don't want it oil like our central heating and there are quite a few places that sell oil kits - but we want to convert to bottled gas. Does anyone on here know of any kits or literature. I have found Twyfords do it for you or sell kits to Corgi registered engineers. Any help would be good. Many thanks indeed. Inger

Reply to
Inger Morris

Sorry if this has already appeared - having trouble with BT this weekend so am sending this message again.

Reply to
Inger Morris

Sell it and buy a proper cooker/boiler.

Reply to
Huge

Why do you want to convert to bottled gas if you already have oil? I assume you mean a permanently installed LPG system and not cylinders - you may find the fuel consumption with cylinders is unattractive.

Reply to
Harry Ziman

The Rayburn is solid fuel and we don't want to convert to oil (as central heating is oil) and just wanted the Rayburn in the kitchen with a bit of background heat and the ovens to keep food/plates warm - I shall still cook on my hob and fan oven - so without mains gas thought we would have bottled gas instead. Inger

Reply to
Inger Morris

It should provide background heat and will certainly keep things warm, but have you considered cooking on it? We found it very easy to adapt to our Aga. I can certainly understand not wanting solid fuel, but I don't think the fuel consumption will be greatly affected by the small amounts of cooking. I would contact Aga-Rayburn and ask them about the fuel consumption levels and estimate how long cylinders will last. I assume you would need to leave it running all the time by the way - if this is not the case then my fears may be misplaced. We leave our Aga (oil) running for months at a time, only shutting it down during long holidays or for servicing.

Hope that is helpful

Reply to
Harry Ziman

Presumably you have in mind a heat source for use during power cuts or running out of oil? I would comment that lpg is a particularly unforgiving fuel in the event of a poor joint. an invisible puddle of gas builds up on the floor until it ignites devastatingly. Also I was informed by a householder who had an lpg Aga with a voracious appetite for gas that he had called Aga in to it only to be assured that twenty pounds a week for gas in 1990 was not considered unusual. They are not built with fuel economy in mind and I'd expect a conversion to be even less efficient than a straight lpg build one. You pays your money and you takes your choice

Reply to
John

It's in the technical section on Aga-Rayburn's web site, Inger

We have a natural gas Aga and it uses between 500 and 700W.

However, it is fairly new and possibly the insulation is better than on older models. Also the behaviour of a Rayburn is rather different, because it is expected that it will be run at low burn rate and then turned up for cooking.

http://195.224.169.22/agarayburn/rayburn/fuelconsum.htmOn this basis with cook-only mode, the Cookmaster Plus would get through about 6kg of LPG in 24hrs according to the specs.

The equivalent sized Aga is specfied at around 4kg/24hrs.

However, these are quite generous.

Reply to
Andy Hall

To be honest I don't know. We have 2 oil fired boilers plus the Aga (which heats half out hot water ... a boiler does the other half - we have 2 hot water circuits) so it is not easy to tell from actual consumption. The Aga is set with two flow rates - low @ 4ml/min and high at 8ml per minute - the thermostat switched between them to maintain temperature. This works out at between 5 and 11 litres of oil per day - between £1 and £2 I guess. From memory 11 gallons per week according to an Aga spec.

It is a great cooker though.

Reply to
Harry Ziman

Does an LPG Rayburn operate without power? Our oil Aga has an electrically operated thermostat and defaults to "low" when the power is off, a significant reduction in temperature.

Reply to
Harry Ziman

I am not sure about the current ranges but I'm fairly certain the version I mentioned had a capillary thermostat mounted onto the gas valve. My memory isn't too good after all this time.

Certainly oil fired Agas had a choice of low/high modulation via a thermostat or a turn up/down control knob on the BM float control box, which while open loop control did give progressive flame modulation to the cook.

Reply to
John

The NG Aga does not require an electrical supply unless it's the model with the fan powered small flue. Current model LPG ones are the same. There is a gas valve with capillary thermostat which modulates the burner.

Some Rayburn models have the facility to turn the burner in the cooking part up and down. I am not certain if that involves external power. The heating models with timer obviously do.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But LPG is more expensive than oil.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And my LPG powered cooker uses 13Kg LPG per quarter.

Are you still going to try and defend the Aga/Rayburn/

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't need to defend anything.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You keep telling yourself that.

Reply to
Steve Firth

As I said - there's no need.

Reply to
Andy Hall

As I said, you keep telling yourself that. Useless for heating, useless for cooking, useless for DHW and now, by your own admission, grossly inefficient.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Don't you have anything better to think about than to attempt to pick silly arguments?

If you don't want to have an Aga or a Rayburn or can't afford one, that's up to you. I enjoy having my Aga. It cooks well and I don't need to use it for hot water.

In the context of total energy used in the house, that which it does use is a minor factor and the majority of the little extraneous energy produced is released within the envelope of the house anyway.

I certainly don't need to justify it to anybody.