Hot water pump makes large noise and then cuts out

In seperate post 'Drained central heating, wont fill up again' I was helped with my problem when I drained the central heating and couldnt get it to refil due to a blockage from sludge in the header tank.

We now have water in teh system and yesterday the hot water and central heating were both working again (minus the downstairs rads which dont get hot due to the sludge).

However, inbetween the system being drained and flushing the blockage we turned on the hot water system(for 40 mins). We I returned home I found the pump was ratteling and making a noise.

Post the fix, it all seemed to work fine until this morning when the pump started thumping and then finely screetching.

I've opened the valve on the front of the pump, not sure if there was air there but black water did start flowing out. Now as soon as we turn on either the heating or water the noise starts and hte pump cuts out after 10 seconds.. have we dry run the pump and knackered it?

Ct

Reply to
cheesey_toastie

Do you know if the pump is turning? There is often a cap you can remove from the face of it that will reveal a screw. With the heating off, you should be able to turn this with a screwdriver (it turns the whole pump by hand).

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, the rotor, anyway ;-)

Reply to