Bodywork

What like drivers of motorised vehicles don't. I have told you Dave just because you 'say' (or even imply something) over and over and..., does not make it true.

Reply to
soup

I also don't know. However a Google search of John Wayne Bobbitt finds that he was in a news article 3 hours ago in the Mirror newspaper.

Reply to
ARW

Most cyclists are also car drivers. In the groups I ride with only one is not a car driver.

Reply to
Paul Herber

I think that might be true in areas like the home counties where there are lots of leasure cyclists (like your "groups"). It certainly isn't true in London where most cyclists can't drive, and cycle to work or as part of their work, not as "groups". That probably applies in the other large cities in the UK too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

He will be the ONLY one who is paying for road repairs through his council tax and yet not wearing out the bit of road that he has shelled out for!

Reply to
swldxer1958

Good grief.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Driver of motorised vehicles contribute to the pot via fuel duty etc and VED.

But then the one thing that is plain, is just how selfish many cyclists are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And? They might well have more than one car. But can only drive one at once. But pay for both regardless.

Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving their car?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: In the groups I ride with only one is not a car driver.

Like this lot, you mean?

Speeding, parking the wrong way at night, on yellow lines, on zig zags, outside schools, pavement parking, obstructing traffic by inconsiderate parking, driving while drunk, on mobile phones, with no car tax, no licence, no insurance, no MOT, illegal plates, overtaking on double lines, due care, bald tyres, faulty brakes, one eyed monsters, no rear lights, no brake lights, no indicators, fog light abuse, faulty steering, windscreen obscuration, darkly tinted windows, child seat abuse, no seatbelts, insecure load, one way street abuse, amber/red light jumping, cycle box abuse, bus lane abuse, box junction abuse, death by dangerous driving, excess smoke and noise from exhaust, duff suspension, leaking oil, cash for crash fiddles, underage child in front, lights causing glare, over weight limit, ignoring no entry signs, parking without permit, not having control of your vehicle, improper use of horn, using horn at night, no in date photo licence, no licence application after long ban, without prescribed eyewear, failing to stop for police/lollipop/zebra etc - ran out of space.

Reply to
swldxer1958

A non driver who gambles, smokes and drinks a lot will pay FAR more into the pot than a tee total vicar that pootles about in his zero rated car does.

So what?

Reply to
swldxer1958

It is oh so easy to bait cyclists. Probably because they know so many are guilty as charged.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have a degree in red herrings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are the master!

Reply to
Paul Herber

Definitely. On a typical drive to work, early in the morning, I might see half a dozen cyclists and of that group, one will be riding properly, on the road, with lights and maybe even with light coloured or reflective clothing, while the others will be unlit, wearing dark clothing, swinging on and off pavements, riding on the wrong side of the road and ignoring traffic lights that have been red for some time. I may also see a few cars with one light out, continuing just as the lights change or speeding a little, but that is out of thousands.

Cyclists (I do ride myself, although not as often as I might) are generally so poor at obeying the rules and even at taking reasonable precautions for themselves, that the few that are sensible stand out and are worthy of remark.

The worst I have seen is a cyclist, on a dark night, dressed in black, with no lights, with no hands on the handlebars, riding out of a side-street onto a main road, without looking and busy texting on his phone!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

This is the worst I have seen.

[...]

Good you think it OK to break any laws because others do it too.

Do you include burglary in that? Rape? Murder?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think he is saying it is ok to break laws. Just that it is rather irrational to become obsessed with cyclists breaking laws when most of us are at far higher risk from car drivers doing so. Most obsessive anti-cyclists seem to be motivated by some more-or-less subconscious form of envy - their rage is otherwise inexplicable.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No, the annoyance (rage is not involved) devolves around that cyclists break the law in ways they probably wouldn't if they were driving. I've seen cyclists whizz past pedestrians using crossings, in one case there was a collision. They seem to forget that they are just road users who have a responsibility to obey the highway code. Once they are out in a pack, they think they own the road, and will shout at tractor drivers who are doing their job. It's particularly bad on rural roads.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah right .

So 'say' something remarkably stupid and incorrect on the web. When people reply to tell you "erm your making an arse of yourself". 'say' "ah see how all the stupid people reply to me".

Reply to
soup

In my 159 I have the DAB radio set so that it turns on when there are traffic alerts on BBC Humberside, Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield. There has NEVER yet been a traffic report that has mentioned a cyclist causing traffic jams, only cars.

Reply to
swldxer1958