Bodywork

No I didn't I didn't post any of the OAP stuff as it had nothing to do with my reply. May be a bit beyond your comprehension but only the bits being replied to get quoted. That way the size of the message doesn't grow and grow like some troll posts seem to . For clarification I am NOT calling you a troll merely stating that some troll posts grow and grow and... in size as they include side points, whole side threads, extraneous guff and ad hominems

Reply to
soup

The only roads paid for nationally are the Trunk Road and motorways.

Reply to
charles

All a red herring ignoring that cyclists don't pay for the use of roads in the same way as other vehicles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then there are trunk roads running through towns.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sigh. NO-ONE PAYS (directly) FOR THE ROADS.

There are no hypothecated taxes in the UK

Really Dave, trotting out old debunked (many times) statements.

Just because you say ' it over and over and ... does not make it true it just makes you seem a tad 'uneducated'.

Reply to
soup

It's true that fuel/vehicle taxes are not ring-fenced, but fuel/vehicle taxes have typically been raising about 5 times the cost of building and maintaining roads, although in last few years due to additional spend on many road capacity programs, that's reduced to under 4 times but should be more than amply recovered.

Indeed, building roads to get more vehicles running on them is one of the most profitable investments the government can make in terms of making a direct return on investment.

The only other investment the government can make which comes even close is generating tourism by spending on royal family events, which is about the same return on investment, but typically realised over 2 years, rather than over 30 years for increases in road capacity.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It all comes from that magic money tree then?

Any other silly comments you want to make?

Like the TV licence not paying for the BBC? Because you pay that for the honour of owning a TV set, whether you watch BBC or not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

I've just had an age related refund:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

By female equivalent I presume you mean Polyfilla her crack?

Reply to
ARW

Whilst Jammie dodgers have increased by only three times . Right your turn to go with 'stuff that may or may not be connected'

Reply to
soup

Just because there is no specific road fund does not mean the roads aren't paid for with money raised by taxation.

An analogy of the situation I heard was that all taxes are just put into ONE pile any and all moneys needed (subject to budgets, that money existing etc)are taken from this pile . There are NO specific piles paid into by specific taxes.

Non sequitur there. The TV license is not a tax.

Reply to
soup

I don't know, is it?

Reply to
soup

In some communities, I believe a needle and thin cord is preferred.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Quite. So why are cyclists exempt from paying tax on that activity while other road users ain't?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same as these cars which don't pay anything either - they don't pollute enough.

There are about 2000000 vehicles that are VED exempt including mine as I am registered disabled.

Reply to
swldxer1958

Indeed. So a hard drinking smoker who gambles on the geegees a lot who doesn't drive either will pay FAR more into the pot than the owner of one of these.

swldxer1958

Nice try - but taxing on pollution has entered the game rather late on.

At one time, cycling too and from work etc was restricted to only a few. Mainly school kids.

It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists. So in these days of austerity - especially with most councils - why shouldn't they contribute towards that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How many red herrings do you have?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:27:08 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are demanding

In what way? By paying a tax that does not exist?

Reply to
swldxer1958

Er no. They have been nade tax exempt cos otherwise no one would buy them

'pollution' is just an excuse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher