PICTURE -- Big vs. small impact wrench

Somewhat amusing.

Ignoramus9641

What I would like to see is the second picture.

The one that shows the big fella who operates that big impact driver versus a normal size guy.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Martin H. Eastburn

>>> What I would like to see is the second picture.

The big one, is usually operated by 2 burly men.

Reply to
Ignoramus9641

>>> What I would like to see is the second picture.

Actually the big impacts are easy to handle if you can pick them up. I have used 1" impact drives on 18 wheeler truck wheels and they are no harder to use than a 1/2". Because they are impact drives they will not transfer the torque to your hands and or arms like a direct drive drill.

Reply to
Leon

Anip

A 1/2" Skill drill will deliver much more feed back to the operator than a

1/2" impact that is operating corectly. The whole idea of the impact driver is to deliver impact pulses that loosen or tighten rather than a continuious feed of power. In the tire business I often used a 1" impact with little effort other than simply holding the tool. Beccause of the weight of the tool a 1/2" impact wrench gave the operator more feed back than the 1" impact wrench.
Reply to
Leon

Ah, the patch.....

I remember many times when roughnecks would ask to borrow "those little wrenches" (anything smaller than 2").

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

That, however, is not true for larger impacts. These are real monsters when operated with adequate air supply.

Reply to
Ignoramus9641

Google search Bob Sapp and re-evaluate. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

my beer and watch this!")

Do you have personal experience with larger impacts? The whole idea to the pneumatic impact is to enable a person to handle larger applications with out great effort. The only thing that I see different would be that the larger 2.5" impact would simply be harder to pick up and position. Its greater size would probably require 2 people to handle it but beyond that pulling the trigger should not exert much more effort on the operator.

Reply to
Leon

I have very little experience. I handled two large impacts (both for selling on ebay as I have no need for them).

One was a 1.5" splined I-R impact (sold to a rec.crafts.metalworking member). Another was that 2.5" impact.

I did not have enough air to spin up that 2.5 impact to full speed. But I did have enough air to spin up the 1.5" impact. I held it as tightly as I could, and still it almost jumped out of my hands.

Reply to
Ignoramus29659

Ignoramus29659 wrote: ...

Spinning it free isn't the same as having it on a piece of work, but they still have torque...

--

Reply to
dpb

I have experience with the larger wrenches, and posted such experience, and you pooh poohed me. Let's hear about your experience, and please omit the phrase "should not".

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

weak argument.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

An impact that "does not work properly will be tough to hold on to". I have a 3/8" air ratchet that is holder to hold on to than the 1" that I used to use. Needless to say the 3/8" ratchet does not work properly. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

I gotta disagree with you. Law of conservation of angular momentum - if you're tranferring that much net torque to the target, that torque has to pretty soon make it up to the wrench and whatever's supporting the wrench. The rotational inertia of the wrench and plumbing will take up some small initial amount of impact, and for some trivial uses (lugnuts) this may be the only important torqueing it does. Not true for a 2.5" on an oilfield!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

"SteveB" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com...

I was not trying to prove you wrong, but the picture of the 2 impacts show an pneumatic 1/2" impact and I would assume also that the larger one is pneumatic also. You mentioned Hydraulic Impacts, those I have no experience with at all. You also mentioned a comparison to your 1/2" Skil drill. There is no comparison what so ever between a direct drive drill and an impact driver. For years when in the automotive business I use 1/2" impacts and they only require the effort to hold the tool. Perhaps 1~2 % of the force feeds back to the operator as opposed to a 1/2" drill where 100% is delivered back to the operator. On numerous occasions I used a 1" impact to remove lug nut from "Large" equipment, obviously not as large as the 2.5" tools is capable of handling but in my 35+ years of experience with properly working impact drives the bigger the capacity 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 1" there was no difference in feed back to the operator once in place one hand to pull the trigger was all that is needed to prevent the tool from spinning. Weight was the only difference in my experience. "A properly working impact Should Not deliver much if any feed back to the operator. An inferior or an "in need of servicing" unit may not provide the operator with proper buffer from the toque. Impacts deliver thousands of on/off impulses that accomplish loosening or tightening nuts and bolts. If the tool has an internal air leak it can bypass the hammering/impact mode and simply try to spin continuously, that is when the impact would require more effort from the operator.

Reply to
Leon

I gotta disagree with you. Law of conservation of angular momentum - if you're tranferring that much net torque to the target, that torque has to pretty soon make it up to the wrench and whatever's supporting the wrench. The rotational inertia of the wrench and plumbing will take up some small initial amount of impact, and for some trivial uses (lugnuts) this may be the only important torqueing it does. Not true for a 2.5" on an oilfield!

Tim.

I cannot state which law comes in to play but can tell you from experience that I have never experienced a measurable amount of feed back difference using a 1/2" impact to remove automotive lug nuts to a 1" impact removing 2" nuts.

Reply to
Leon

Steve, IIRC Joe makes a living working with this kind of stuff.

Reply to
Leon

Hmm... Define "Makes a living"

It was more of a joke than a serious post although Bob Sapp is probably one of the scariest human beings on the face of the earth when it comes to raw strength and size. If there is a human who can conquer the larger tools without beinbg tossed around like a play thing, it's him. Of course, he probably doesn't have a minute of tool training in him so who knows...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill