When you think someone has been clever...

I bought a second hand vacuum cleaner. It's bagless (Shark) & you've to take a fair chunk of it to the bin, including the cable.

Someone has put a plug inline, near the unit, so you can leave most of the cable behind while emptying.

Inspired!

Until you realise which half they've connected to the mains side!

Reply to
R D S

Now inspired to see if I can put an IEC inlet on "Kenny"

(Kenny the Karcher)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Well, a top tip from me,

If you get one like the one I pictured,

The side that says 'connect to mains'......

Reply to
R D S

Shame your photo doesn?t actually illustrate the fault!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I borrowed my grandpa's electric mower and encountered the same problem of the connector with pins being on the live (wall-plug) side. When it's all plugged together it's very difficult to tell one way from the other, but when I disconnected the lead to disentangle it, I realised how close I came to getting a shock. I rewired it the correct (safe!) way round and said nothing.

By the way, for some reason your Google Drive URL comes up "file not found" in Firefox, but loads fine in Google Chrome.

Reply to
NY

I thought the last sentence of my post made it obvious.

But in case not :)

While in use, if the inline plug is separated, the half with the fingerable pins is live.

Reply to
R D S

Works for me. And IE11.

Reply to
Max Demian

still used on garden tools, but usually in orange.

Reply to
charles

just checked - plenty on ebay, here's one:

charles

Yes it did, but the photo was pointless as it didn?t illustrate the issue. What was the point of the photo if not to illustrate the mis-wiring?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I would have thought the words "Until you realise which half they've connected to the mains side!" might have been a bit of a clue.

Reply to
ARW

The good old Jesus cord.

Reply to
ARW

Of course it was, but the photo was still added nothing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You'll make sure it's a waterproof one won't you? One that will survive an accidental pressure washing?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

"Kenny" is a vacuum cleaner. (Couldn't afford a Henry)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Why not show the other ends as well? (not that we do not believe you) :)

Reply to
F Murtz

Do your posts make you feel clever?

If so keep it up, at least someone is benefiting from them. :rollseyes:

Reply to
R D S

Is that what they call them? Because that's what you scream if some knobber wires them up the wrong way around and you stick your thumb on the terminals!

Reply to
R D S

I'll electrocute myself too, should settle matters!

Reply to
R D S

No, I?m just genuinely puzzled as to why you went to the trouble of posting the photo. Without the square pin plug on the end it added nothing.

I presume you intended it to illustrate the issue?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+