When you think someone has been clever...

I bought a second hand vacuum cleaner. It's bagless (Shark) & you've to take a fair chunk of it to the bin, including the cable.
Someone has put a plug inline, near the unit, so you can leave most of
the cable behind while emptying.
Inspired!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uj6J4Lh40i49eYjUv60PizayUGJpfQy_
Until you realise which half they've connected to the mains side!
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 10:17:17 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

Now inspired to see if I can put an IEC inlet on "Kenny"
(Kenny the Karcher)
Owain
On 21/05/2020 10:37, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Well, a top tip from me,
If you get one like the one I pictured,
The side that says 'connect to mains'......
On 21/05/2020 10:37, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

You'll make sure it's a waterproof one won't you? One that will survive an accidental pressure washing?
Andy
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 21:23:27 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

"Kenny" is a vacuum cleaner. (Couldn't afford a Henry)
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6514057
Owain

Shame your photo doesn’t actually illustrate the fault!
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 21/05/2020 10:58, Tim+ wrote:

I thought the last sentence of my post made it obvious.
But in case not :)
While in use, if the inline plug is separated, the half with the fingerable pins is live.

Yes it did, but the photo was pointless as it didn’t illustrate the issue. What was the point of the photo if not to illustrate the mis-wiring?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 21/05/2020 20:11, Tim+ wrote:

I would have thought the words "Until you realise which half they've connected to the mains side!" might have been a bit of a clue.
--
Adam

Of course it was, but the photo was still added nothing.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 21/05/2020 20:11, Tim+ wrote:

Do your posts make you feel clever?
If so keep it up, at least someone is benefiting from them. :rollseyes:

No, I’m just genuinely puzzled as to why you went to the trouble of posting the photo. Without the square pin plug on the end it added nothing.
I presume you intended it to illustrate the issue?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 22/05/2020 17:49, Tim+ wrote:

I intended it to demonstrate the type of plug I was talking about.
On 22/05/2020 19:18, R D S wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:PATC4.jpg
one that I found earlier.
--
Adam

On 21/5/20 8:36 pm, R D S wrote:

Why not show the other ends as well? (not that we do not believe you) :)
On 22/05/2020 02:34, F Murtz wrote:

I'll electrocute myself too, should settle matters!

still used on garden tools, but usually in orange.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

just checked - plenty on ebay, here's one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pin-In-Line-Rubber-Electric-Plug-Connector-10A-Extend-Mains-Tools-Black-White/392060071248?hash=item5b4899ed50:m:m-8h7I5U_aPUOt-W1zfEXyA
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I borrowed my grandpa's electric mower and encountered the same problem of the connector with pins being on the live (wall-plug) side. When it's all plugged together it's very difficult to tell one way from the other, but when I disconnected the lead to disentangle it, I realised how close I came to getting a shock. I rewired it the correct (safe!) way round and said nothing.
By the way, for some reason your Google Drive URL comes up "file not found" in Firefox, but loads fine in Google Chrome.
On 21/05/2020 11:26, NY wrote:

Works for me. And IE11.
--
Max Demian