Marker pen removal from car bodywork

The local kids decided it was a good idea to use a marker pen to write all over my neighbour's car bonnet last night with marker pen. (little cherubs).

Does anyone know a solvent that will remove marker pen from car paint without damaging the paint? Her car is non metallic, but just in case they make a habit of it, mine is metallic.

I know the first reply will be "what kind of marker was it", so a list of solvents that will not harm car paints will do.

Would bleach be safe to use on car paint, and would it remove the marker?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Is isopropanol another name for isopropyl alcohol? If so, I have some tape head cleaner containing it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

A good wax will do it. Steve

finditonthe

It will either need a polar or a non-polar solvent, depending on the marker pen. Most marker pens need a polar solvent. Good polar solvents which won't damage the paint are ethanol and isopropanol. If you have any isopropanol, try that first. If you don't, then try some meths (mostly ethanol).

If it turns out that the polar solvent doesn't dissolve it, it's time for a non-polar solvent. White spirit is a readily available mixture of toluene and other non polar solvents, so I'd give that a go. or WD40.

This strategy can be used when trying to clean pretty much anything. With sticky lables, most of them require non-polar solvents, so start with the white spirit first.

Unlikely to touch the marker.

Reply to
Grunff

A can of special brew it is then - just kidding.

I will tell her to try a bit of tape head cleaner or meths then.

Thanks all

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Bleach? Noooooooooooooooo! Don't even think about it.

Any of the alcohols (Ethyl/Methyl/Isopropyl) should do the job fine. You could try White Spirit first, as you are more likely to have that at home, but if that doesn't work then get an alcohol cleaning spray can from Maplin or some other electronic supplier, or try and scrounge some alcohol wipes/swabs from your friendly local practice nurse or pathology lab worker - "Steret" is the name to look for. Oh, I almost forgot, good old Meths would be suitable - it's only Methyl Alcohol with some purple dye and a nasty taste added.

Just don't whatever you do use bleach, or cellulose thinners for that matter.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Yes, it is another (a more standards compliant) name for isopropyl alcohol.

Reply to
Grunff

A few weeks ago, the local brats decided to draw a line down the nearside, in permanant black marker, from the front to the rear of my partner's silver convertable sports car.

It looked wonderful.

I went to Halfords. One of their staff looked at the car and suggested "Halfords bug and insect wipes"

The chap from Halfords said rub the marker pen with a wipe for 30 seconds then leave it for 30 seconds then use a second wipe to have a second go.

I used the first "bug and insect" wipe. Nothing happened. However, when I used the second wipe all of a sudden the pen started to come off.

The wipes completely removed the pen. There is no trace left.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

Go to halfords and get some MER polish, its part of their demo removing marker pen. Ive used it for other marks as well. It is also a good polish well worth buying Rob

Reply to
rob w

Brasso. As well as having a solvent it is a fine abrasive so will remove a tiny layer of paint leaving it like new - you might find it's so good you've got to do the whole car...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

especially if it is metallic :-)

You could use petrol, which is also good for removing tar on paintwork.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It works fine on clearcoat too. And is a fraction of the price of those 'special' car cutting compounds that are no better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Especially if you light it, and claim on the insurance :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Id say anythiung that will remove peremanent markers will remove teh paint.

Try rubbing it out with T-cut. If it looses the sheen, sometomes a respray with clear lacquer works..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Got any CD lense cleaner....?

This is Isopropanol and will clean marker pen off your paintwork without harming it.

You can also purchase it from a chemist.

Reply to
troubleinstore

Tried meths? Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

In message , P.R.Brady writes

Yes, but my driving gets even more erratic

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

Totally wrong. Look at the other posts in this thread.

Reply to
IMM

It de-ices my car very quickly.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I went next door to pass the info on, and whe said she was going to try some white spirit.

Still not done it though. It's like a big advert saying "come on, write on everyone's car". I might sneak out in the middle of the night and clean it off myself.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith