The siding on my house is paneling. Recently I noticed the first
signs of deterioration (rot) on the bottom edge. I intend to
saturated the bottom edge with antifreeze to kill/stop the rot, then
prime and paint it. Can I prime over the antifreeze the next day? If
not, how long do I have to wait? If I can't prime over the antifreeze
at all, what to I do to prep it for the primer?
Who ever told you to use antifreeze? I never heard of that.
Best would be to replace the bad wood, but if you want to save that
till next year or so *you will end up doing it soon*, I'd bleach the
wood to kill the rot and mold, let it dry. Then apply a wood
preservative, which you can buy in gallon cans. Follow up with paint
PS, If you have pets that get outside, you definately do not want to
use Antifreeze or you might end up with dead pets.
I suspect that is at about 1/100th of the concentration that it will
find in your wood. That could change everything.
If I were you, I'd play it safe. Find some scrap wood, porous like
the rotting wood you want to fix. Saturate that with antifreeze, wait
some time and then try painting it. See how the drying goes.
Try several pieces, allowing each to dry a different amount of time
before painting and drying. That should give you a pretty good idea.
Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
According to the articles that you cite the anti-freeze will volatize in
a few days and the wood may then be painted. A lot of these articles seem
to be variations of one article. I see no reason to believe or disbelieve
Rot is an organism, its alive , possibly a plant, bleach kills by
removing the oxygen and works. Antifreeze may work, its a poison, but
bleach I know works, is cheaper, easier and safer to use and be ready
to paint. Bleach residue is easily washed as it is salt, antifreeze has
an oily residue, you don`t want to paint over any residue that will
affect a paints bonding . Im sure alot of poisons will kill rot, even
rot gut booze. Mold is usualy present with rot and may be the organisms
responsible for rot. Bleach is still a safe bet for repainting. I just
used 20 gallons on a repaint to kill rot and mold and clean concrete all
with a garden sprayer. With antifreeze you may need soap to remove the
oily residue, put it on your hands to find out, with bleach after its
dry you just rinse with water. If you have rot you still must remove
it, paint won`t last even if the rot is inactive, the wood is to soft
and will absorb moisture, ruining the paint. I would cut out the rot
then use bleach to kill whats left. Look for black spots on the house,
even pinhead size, if you have them its mold and should all be sprayed
with bleach. Mold is a plant you don`t want to paint over it.
My understanding is that antifreeze (ethylene or propylene glycol) is
used as a carrier for rot treatments, and is not itself a rot
treatment. For example, TimBor is basically boric acid with
I'd use Tim-Bor or Bora-care depending on whether you've
sanded first. (Isn't Timbor a powder?) That will not only
kill the existing mold/fungus, it will inhibit future
growth, too. And it's less likely to result in squirrels
eating the side of your house, and then crawling into
the bathroom vent to die.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.