Removing Rain-X from car windshield

I put some Rain-x on my windshield on the outside. I noticed they sell one bottle for the outside of the window and one for the inside. I figured they just wanted to sell two bottles and it's the same stuff. It works fine on the outside. Rather than do the whole inside, I thought I'd try it first and only did 1/4 of the windshield. I guess the outside type dont work too well inside. When it's cold, the part with the Rain-x gets all fogged up, while the rest of the window dont. Worse yet, it's really hard to wipe off the fog, or whatever is the correct word for that. (It's not cold enough to be frost, but it's fogged up with moisture).

I guess I just have to remove it from that 1/4 th of the window. Anyone know what will remove it?

Thanks

Reply to
jw

at you Rx Alcohol 91%

just do not get it on your paint.......

Reply to
Hot-Text

Fogging or freezing on the inside of the car is most easily solved by the following

1) Use a (inside) glass cleaner like Windex, and clean the glass so it's spotless (Remember to really buff it with a dry towel -it's an important step) Clean glass on the inside is a MUST to reduce the risk of condensation. 2) When you get into a cold car, crack a back window open and start up your fan on defrost to start air moving on the inside of the windshield as well as the cabin. Try to leave your door open till until after you have started the motor and cranked up the fan. Keep this up until you are getting warm air, at which point you can start shifting where the air is sent You are generating humid air by breathing and it will automatically hit the glass as condensation. The open window lets out warm moist air, and lets in cooler dryer air. 3) If you have tracked snow or rain into the car, keep the air moving and the window cracked to reduce the risk of condensation, until the water has been eliminated
Reply to
Attila.Iskander

it says on the label.

Reply to
chaniarts

91% isopropyl like HT said, or a citrus type cleaner (Goo-Gone).
Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks for everyone's tips to remove it.

I understand what you're saying about the water beading up..... outside....

But that leaves a question. What does the Rain-X do, *which is made for the inside of the windshield*?

My reason for trying it was to make it easier to remove frost in cold weather. Aside for that, there is no real reason for it.

Reply to
jw

Best thing to do is not to use the shit in the first place on a windshield.

Fine for all the other glass, but not on a WS.

Reply to
Ron

Did you not read my post?

Rain-X Anti-Fog......it keeps the windshield from fogging up. Does it work...I dunno. I used it years ago and it didn't. I have a bottle sitting in my garage that someone gave me a few months ago, but haven't used it yet.

Reply to
Ron

Yep. It's made for "high speed driving". If you have good/new wiper blades they will wipe the windshield completely dry on the first swipe leaving no lubrication (a wet windshield) on the return swipe which will cause the wiper blades to bounce/chatter. And once the Rain-X starts wearing off, it gets even worse. It works great if you never change your wiper blades.

Reply to
Ron

I've used it many times on the outside of the WS and it works fine. I've never had any problems with wipers or anything else. I just never tried it inside, and now I know not to do that again.

Reply to
jw

That may be true if you reapply it often but years ago I read up on it and most didn't like it on the outside. I also tried it years ago and when new, it was fine but found that when it begins to wear off, it makes a mess. I don't remember what I used to get it off but I did get it off.

Reply to
Doug

Spray paint the inside window yellow, then use a razor blade.

Reply to
Home Guy

Dunno what you had, but it wasn't rain-x. As it wears off all that happens is the water droplets start forming again on the glass just as before you put it on and views became obstructed again. Eventually it does no good and you're right back to before you used it. READ the container and use according to directions.

Reply to
Twayne

No it was Rain-X. I definitely remember putting it on. I recall seeing smears after some weeks and decided to remove it.

Reply to
Doug

People have been arguing about Rain-X working or not working for years. I never used it. Windshield wipers were always good enough for me. Kind of related to that is waxing appliances. Years ago, I got caught up in that Amway stuff for a couple months. They had a liquid silicone wax, and the guy who got me into Amway recommended using it on appliances and bath tubs. It's all common sense that wax is slick, and dirt won't stick well to it. But you have the labor of applying it, and "dressing" or removing it. So whatever works best for you. Me, I don't like the labor part, so I don't use any of it.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I paid a bunch for crystal fusion application, but I guess it wears,and they give you a reapplication. I know it works well new. What made me buy it, I got doused with a passer by going down a road at 40 mph, and I was so startled it took time to register, turn on the dam wipers. I was totally blinded by brown water.

I applied regular rainx to my truck. Ok works well, except on a trip with heavy rain, the wipers had to use a lot more mechanical effort, and my wipers always growled after that experience. Never again. But, rainx windshield washer fluid works very well. Well, not good enough for that dousing of brown water I got!! You can get by diluting rainx washer fluid.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The "universal solvent" to eliminate windshield smearing used to be Coca Cola. It contains a weak acid.

Just sayin.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Bull.

I (and my entire family of 5 drivers) have been using the orange windshield washer fluid that is mixed with Rain-X in all of our cars for years.

Above 40 MPH I never even use my wipers unless there's traffic with lots of road spray. In that case, I use the slowest intermittent wiper speed since the dirty road spray doesn't tend to bead up like the nice clean rain water.

Perhaps it's the frequent re-application since we'll typically spritz the windshield quickly when it starts to rain, but we've never had any chattering of wipers or any other wiper related problems associated with the product.

The one issue we've found is the brief period of fogging if the windsheild is cleaned with the sun shining directly at the windshield, such as when sunrise and sunset causes sun glare. It takes a few swipes of the wipers to clear the fog but that disadvantage is far outweighed by the advantage of not having to use wipers the vast majority of time.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Please see my other post where I dispute the claims you've made, at least as far as the washer fluid/Rain-X mix is concerned.

DerbyDad03

Just make sure it's the *morning* paper. The evening edition won't work. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03