Black & Decker 350 Watt Powerfile

Bought one of these last week to help repair some wooden window frames at Handyman Towers.

'm very impressed!

Stock removal is incredible with a 40 grit belt. Being only 13mm wide and about the same thickness it gets in anywhere.

Since used it to even up some lap joints on decking posts & sharpen my post hole digger.

Picture on the box shows it being used to open out the mortice for a door lock, can't wait to try that.

Dust collector actually works, belt tracking easy to adjust & stays tracked. Only downside is that there isn't a facility for adjusting the belt tension, so my 40 grit belt stretched a bit and stated to lose traction before it was worn out completely.

At under £40 a very useful bit of kit indeed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mind if we stick that on the wiki?

NT

Reply to
NT

How do you change belts then? Or is there still a knob to reduce the tension down slack enough to take it off, just that it's as tight as it can go with a new belt and no more adjustment than that?

(The new dust collection does look better than the old ones though.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Not at all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There is a lever which you push forward to slacken the belt. No adjustment as such, either slack or tight.

Works surprisingly well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I should really have said would you put it on the wiki please :)

NT

Reply to
NT

>> I'm very impressed!

I have one of those. The only B&D tool I've ever owned that I actually like! I also have a Bosch mini belt sander, also pretty good at getting into small spaces. Between them they were great for stripping back a staircase prior to re-painting.

Reply to
AlanD

No clue as to how to do that :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I was considering the Bosch but it seems to have been discontinued?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm very impressed!

Ordered one up. By the blurb it could have lots of uses. Are the belts expensive/difficult to get, or do Screwfix etc sell them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think they have. From Googling the model number is PVS 300AE.

There's one on ebay, item number 130586844446.

Reply to
AlanD

Assuming they are compatible with the older design Powerfile, Screwfix, Toolstation, and the sheds do them.

Alan Braggins

>> I'm very impressed!

I ordered 3 packs of belts with the tool on a deal, they came in Silverline boxes!

Seem fine though & not expensive, should be easy enough to get.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman