Best low tack masking tape?

Votes please for a low tack masking tape that does what it claims (as the last lot I used didn't).

Matters to me more than usual as I need to paint an external wall where it joins a neighbour's in a different colour. And she doesn't know what colour her painter used nor even what make of paint.

Reply to
Robin

I've found with masking tape is that UV hardens the glue especially if used outdoor. Get a fresh batch - the stuff you have had hanging around for a year or two is likely to be a right PITA to use.

Install immediately before your start the job.

Remove immediately afterwards - don't wait a week.

Reply to
alan_m

Why bother with masking tape? Which really only works on dead smooth surfaces I doubt a wall will be dead smooth... Draw a line for the edge and hand paint to the line with a cutting in brush, if that is a

1 1/2 to 2" one you'll have a reasonably wide strip of paint to roller up to and over without to much risk of going over the nice paint edge.

The stuff I have, which is really the first stuff I've ever had that sticks, masks and comes away pretty is a good year old but is still fine "Hippo Masking Tape".

On an unopened reel: "Remove within 24 hours". Best to remove whilst the paint/varnish, WHY is still wettish. Can be messy but little risk or pulling the paint film off and it gives the masked edge a chnage to reflow a bit under surface tension.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sing along, My pink half of the drainpipe...

Hmm the problem here is that if the paint is well adhered than most decent masking tape is fine, but if its already crazed or coming off, then all bets are off really. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I am using pro-dec. Its really good and doesnt lift off whats underneath and has a very clean edge

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher