Painting help needed

Hey up :)

I after some advice on how to paint a straight line between the wall and ceiling ?

Over the years I find once done and I look up it looks wobbly so to speak.

Perhaps I don't have such a steady hand these days. Or could I be using the wrong type of brush. I have tried using masking tape and it ripps part of the wall off as I remove it! out came the filla, total nightmare that was.

Reply to
Pete

No solution I'm afraid. The join won't look straight because it isn't straight, and masking tape will follow the wall or ceiling, which also won't be straight. That's why I like picture rails :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

How the hell do they do it in Travelodges etc?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Low tack masking tape. That's certainly how I've done it in the past with no paper being pulled off.

Steven Campbell

3 options IME: 1) Use a light colour wall paint - then the join is not obvious so errors don't really show up. 2) Low tack (B&Q blue) masking tape. Trouble is, sometimes even the low tack can pull paint off - but if it doesn't you get a very nice line. 3) Harris bevelled window frame brush (1" or so). I find this particular type cuts very nicely and with patience it is possible to get a nice line even with dark colours.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Easy! Paint them the same colour, then it doesn't matter!

Or paper the walls.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The last time I papered I ended up looking like the mummy

Reply to
Pete

Ah ha that sounds like the ticket! .. thanks

Reply to
Pete

1) Use a low tack tape (and don't leave it up for too long - even low tack sticks well after time),

and 2) cheat ;-)

Say you are using a light colour for the ceiling, place your tape a mm or two down from the actual corner. The paint the ceiling, the corner and in effect the first mm of wall as well. That way you can have a straight line regardless of what the actual intersection line does, and you don't notice the fact that they don't quite meet in the corner.

Reply to
John Rumm

Cutting in to that wall/ceiling junction is a real knack. I've got a bit better at it with practice, but am still a bit rubbish at it. I haven't managed to get tape to work for me. I resort to cutting in as best I can, then going over with a small artist-size brush straightening up the line. It's dull and tedious, but with half an hour or so of care and patience it will get you a lovely neat end result. It usually only needs to be done on the last coat, thankfully.

Reply to
Bolted