Painting

In my working days I've stopped over in many Travelodges and such. I've always noticed the walls are painted a different colour to the ceilings and that the change in colour is as far as I could see to be perfect. Do these painters have a very steady hand, or is there a technique?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Nothing much to do in a Travel Lodge is there?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I was there to sleep. If you are the aerial man, which I think you are, how goes it?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Masking tape.

Reply to
harry

Yes, and I've thought of that. But they have to be in and out in quick time. A freshly painted wall could take days to dry before masking tape could be used. It could rip the paint off the walls when removed.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It does - to the point where tape won't pull it off. I speak from better experience!

I wonder why they don't make tape backed with PostIt gum - you don't need much adhesion for cutting in, but you definately want something that doesn't pull off.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Low tack masking tape.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Emulsion paint that "takes days to dry"?

Reply to
charles

It takes days to dry 100% before masking tape can be applied and pulled off without ripping the emulsion paint off.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Is there such a thing?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Low-tack tape is available to avoid this.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

yes. Screwfix, amongst others, sell it just for this purpose.

Reply to
charles

Rubbish a professional painter should be able to paint a straight line between wall and ceiling even I can do it and i have never used masking tape when decorating

-
Reply to
Mark

I did not know this and I'm enlightened. Thanks.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

True, a genuine pro could do it freehand. Reminds me of the pinstripers at Jaguar back in the day. They'd go out for "lunch" (anywhere between 6 and 10 pints of beer) then come back and get right back on with it - totally flawless coachlines in spite of being barely able to walk in a straight line. That was just how it was back then and no one thought it the least unusual, dangerous or undesirable.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The unprofessional way I do it is... the best I can with a normal roller and brush and afterwards touch up the edges with a fine brush from my kids picture painting set.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

I no longer have visible means of support, so I'm no longer an aerial man. I'm a ground based man, and quite happy with it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Angle brush and a steady hand.

Reply to
alan_m

They have special tape that doesn't stick well. You can buy it with a range of "stickynesses".

Reply to
harry

Well you could always play Painter man by Boney M? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff