interior wall painting - basic principles/tips needed

been painting interior walls.. MBR, living, now kitchen

any ideas for painting around trim, cabinets, fixtures? (tape and brush, tape and small roller, etc) -- this seems to take most of the time

prep/clean up -- any advice to make prep and clean-up fast and simple? Again.. this is a big time consumer, esp. as a DIY when you only have a coupla hours per session.

how best to subdivide a project - take a full room for example - window trim, baseboard, ceiling/wall intersection, etc. Is it ok to tape one day, paint trim the next, paint large areas the next? What are some tips for breaking a larger proeject (a room) into several days of 1-3 hours each.

Reply to
coloradotrout

My biggest reco. would be to not let masking tape sit too long (a few days at most). The sun can bake it onto your windows in a few days or weeks..

No, actually, the biggest is to properly prepare surfaces. Nothing is worse than doing the job and watching it peel a year later. The majority of the job is prep work, so bite the bullet and do it.

No, actually, the biggest, if you have a child under age 7, is to be absolutely sure no lead paint is involved. Even very low levels of lead have been shown to cause brain damage. If you can clear this hurdle, move to the last concern. Otherwise, STOP and consider what you are doing with extreme caution. Unless you have been exposed and are too stupid to read this.

Setting that aside (and it is serious), I recommend using a roller on virtually everything. It coats beautifully and quickly. It's like driving a forklift. If you need to get off of it for any reason, you're an amateur. Roll, roll, roll. Then you can coat most rooms in an hour or two.

Reply to
Lamer

Read the instructions. It says keep a wet edge. Took me years to figure out what the heck that meant. It means that you place the brush on unpainted area and roll or brush towards painted to minimize distrubing the skin on previously painted area. Also when using trim tools, keep them clean and put minimal paint on them. Keep paint clean of dry paint. If you get any dry paint mixed into can, pour it thru cheesecloth filters sold at paint store to get hard particles out.

simple?

Reply to
Art Begun

I "learned" the tape advice when I did the outside trip - use blue tape and get it off asap

house built in 92, so I do not suspect lead anywhere and presumably all new paint is lead free

roll>

Reply to
coloradotrout

The square trim pads work well if you don't put too much paint on them and you keep the edges clean. Ones with wheels need to have clean wheels.

message

several

Reply to
Art Begun

better than just a brush?

we got a small roller.. 2".. which has some advantages over the brush, except for tight spots

Reply to
coloradotrout