Lot's of painting needed. Get a "machine?"

We have a TH that "needs" painting in every room. We have just completed the kitchen but there are another 5 rooms plus hall ways plus stair well plus 1-1/2 baths.

Moreover, we will put "stick on" vinyl tile over under layment. The "stick on" instructions recommend painting the floor with latex primer.

That's a LOT of painting.

It's starting to make sense to look into getting some seriour "Professional" equipment.

Have any of you gone this route?

In particular, I was looking at the "pump sprayers" that can (if run "flat out" put a gallon of paint on the walls/ceiling/whatever every few minutes.

Has anyone else here gone that way?

What "features" should I look for? What's the minimum about of painting that can justify the clean up of the equipment. In the past I have gotten some of that "Weaver" junk but I found that it just don't completely clean up.

What about maskink, etc? What are the "over spray" issues.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Please stop using quotation marks for the remainder of this discussion. Thank you.

Now, do you know the location of a real paint store in your town? Not Home Depot, Sears, Wal Mart, etc., but a real paint store? Or, a hardware store where they know what they're talking about? The answer to this question will assist people in responding to your questions.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Find out what you really need first, the floors I just put down require a special latex primer, its liquid. A 5gallon bucket, screen, pole, roller and sleeve would be just as fast without spraying your walls and baseboard. My floor required rolling with a floor roller.

Reply to
ransley

I don't know what a "TH" is, but .....townhouse?

First, I think stick on tile is crap and have never seen an appl. that looked decent and did not come loose.

We used a power roller to paint a neighbor's condo; also crap - it was a lot more work to clean up the p.r. than ordinary roller. A pump sprayer for paint? Never heard of such a thing. If the home is not occupied, it should be far easier to paint. Prep is what takes time when I paint

- applying the paint is not a big deal. If the place is ready to go, you might get as good a price from a contractor as for spending the money on equipment to DIY.

Reply to
Norminn

Yep. I get the feeling the OP has never painted before.

This past summer, my son got all enthusiastic when a neighbor offered to pay him to do some interior painting. Since he knew nothing about it, I told him he had to paint his own room perfectly, for the educational experience (and so I didn't have to do it). Halfway through cleaning around windows and taping and removing hardware, he was horrified. More so when he realized that the fun part (rolling) took 1/10th the time that the prep work took.

Of course, it's always possible to do an amateurish job, and get paint all over door hinges, light switches, etc., which will make the next owner want to hunt you down and cut your guts out with a machete. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

clipped

What's wrong with a chain saw? :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I'm old fashioned. You could use a chain saw, though, or a sawzall.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

We had to paint the whole interior of our new house. I rented a good sized sprayer from Home Depot..it did a great job.

I had borrowed a Campbell Hausfield 3/4 HP sprayer from a neighbor to do our previous house. I put 120 gallons (in 5's) thru that one for exterior (stucco) and interior.

Your shoulder needs some TLC after though.

Reply to
Rudy

Too quick and merciful, that's what.

I recently purchased 52 year old house that has nice wood windows. The previous owner did a lousy paint job, letting the wall roller slop against the varnished wood window trim. Apparently, the moron had never heard of a wet paper towel to wipe off over-paint.

How could anyone be so stunningly stupid and half-assed? Anyway, true to form he had the house only a few years and then he let it get repossessed. Then I got it cheap from HUD. But I'll still curse him plenty as I sand off the old hard over-paint.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Well, what was the "technology" of the sprayer?

Was it run on air or what?

Again, was that a "pump" type sprayer?

Reply to
John Gilmer

You do realize that your needless use of quotation marks and extra apostrophes makes your posts unreadable, don't you?

Reply to
tmclone