240v countdown timer switch

Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock, hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Ta.

Reply to
R D S

Is the motor too powerful for a time delay light switch? If not, do you need high precision on the 3 minutes?

Reply to
Robin

As a starting point look at . tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Timers_Index/Timers_Time_Delay/index.html

If the current rating is not high enough, use the timer to trigger a relay/contactor

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Let me take a 'wild' guess at your answer should the OP's replies be in the negative...

Use a 555 timer chip (with transistor driven 12v coil relay and mains voltage 10A rated contacts) to build a timer module? :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

One problem with a 555 for long times (above a few seconds) is that the first time they are switched on they take longer[1] to start up the first cycle while the capacitor charges this can be as much as a 30% error in the first cycle.

[1] can;t remmebr if it;s longer or shorter depending onn the o/p required
Reply to
whisky-dave

Maybe one of these will do what you want (assuming mains single phase) ?

Martin Brown

There's lots of timer relays on the market. Look at Rapid, CPC, or RS. I always use the ones that mount on a valve base because they are very easy to test by substitution.

I usually use both poles of a double pole relay in parallel to double the current rating.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bloody poles coming over here taking our switching jobs ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Thanks for all the responses.

I've got some Crouzet 814 timers but getting a headache looking at them. Might just man up and get my head around how to wire those?

Reply to
R D S

I was going to say "Google for one shot din rail timers":-)

Reply to
ARW

As used in microwave ovens and similar

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

How accurate does it need to be? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes I did this many years ago now. Also had one that varied the time according to light as well. There are loads of circuits of these sort of things. However i imagine there still have to be digital timer modules about in the hobbyist press in adverts as well which can operate a relay. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually you can actually remove this problem by a high value resistor I seem to recall. I still think there are modules that enable you to do timer based stuff. I notice many clock radios have snooze buttons which can be made to do much the same thing if you take them apart. Get an old one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff