OT: what's behind the Irish Border question

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/the-impossibility-of-an-all-weather-backstop/
--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”
On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 8:33:28 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

op/

So let go back to 25 years of bombings, murder and mayhem. Dont forget the 'Freedom Fighters' brought their campaign to what is misleading called 'the mainland' so any shit stirred up now may go way beyong Northern Ireland's borders.
Just markoing your cards
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 01:24:04 -0700, fred wrote:

backstop/

I suspect a rebooted pIRA would carry on where they left off, and just make the City of London extremely unattractive for Megacorp plc. Which, given Brexit, would take some doing.
They learned during the last conflict that they could kill thousands of civilians, and nothing would happen. One bomb at Canary Wharf, and it's "would you like fries with that, lads ?"

It wasn't the financial bit there they were after.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

No, a means to an end.
It was a damned sight more effective and less unpopular than blowing up civilians though.
I wonder when the prayer mat wielding plonkers are going to arrive at that conclusion, although I suppose their demands are a little more extreme. As far as I'm aware, Isis and similar simply want vengance, so perhaps an attack on property isn't seen as a route to "success". No virgins I assume?
AB

No, it was aimed at a building.

But the bomb did kill those workig ay the nearby newsagent.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Terrorism steps in where there is injustice, I somehow doubt that blowing things up for the sake of damage to individuals or buildings is not a primary aim. The aim basically is to instil fear into the opposition.
Now bombing people in the UK might produce a fair bit of fear, but for the maximum amount of fear in the correct place, hitting those that already have large amounts of wealth in their pockets is going to be far more productive.
If ordinary people in the UK mattered, we would not be whittling away at the NHS, taxing the disabled with two bedrooms and relying on food banks to support the poorest of Britain.

Were they not black? Probably unintentional. Now if they were a couple of blonde 17 year olds with large mammaries, they would still be appearing o the front page of the Sun, once a month at least.
AB

The building had nothing to do with wealth
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Terrorists are not into buildings or people, it's fear. The area was in the Docklands and the damage estimated at 150 million.
£150 million is wealth to some.
Anyway injustice and ignorance has been part & parcel of British rule over Ireland and most of the world. If people are subjected to injustice they will fight back, enven against overwhelming odds. Look at the Palestinians.
The other thing that aids terrorism is unemployment. You might wish to remember that.
Trying to seperate people will not have much effect in the short term when everyone is occupied, but come a downturn then these differences will become an all encompassing route to violence.
AB
AB

snip

Sorry I can't help pedantry. And the main point that, if you must have Brexit, the only place for the British border is at British ports is so obvious that I can't see how a few grotesque fundamentalist terrorist supporters can seriously expect otherwise.
--

Roger Hayter

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 22:43:53 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hayter.org (Roger Hayter) wrote:

Well they shouldn't. May's Brexit plan is supported by people that have no wish to see that happen. I wonder if we will get our billion back?
AB
On 10/10/18 09:24, fred wrote:

I see you simply didn't bother to read the article.

Just making a fool of yourself...
--
“Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,”

– Ludwig von Mises
On 10/10/2018 09:24, fred wrote:

So the EU in the guise of Eire is going to sponsor terrorism again?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Exactly, If we could have carried on without this Eu question for another 10 years I think they would now be part of Ireland with a rewritten constitution so all Europe are effectively the same country.
Brian
--
----- --
On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 08:33:28 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It's the EUs problem, not ours. Let them think of a solution.
On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 8:08:30 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:

Let me see. The UK decides to exit the EU and the consequences are the EU's fault?

Yep, when the EU is too stupid to continue to allow that open border.
There already is one with Norway and Switzerland.

but under strictly controlled conditions.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 15/10/18 10:54, charles wrote:

I love dubblethink
"There is an open border, but it's under strictly controlled conditions".
Like Checkpoint Charlie?
kind word alone.

The controlled conditions is that they have to accept the EU freedoms that are explicitly rejected by our Brexiteers. I think the Norway model would be on offer if we wanted it.
--

Roger Hayter