Reflector / insulator behind radiator?

Hi,

Two questions about foam/foil reflector / insulator behind radiators

1) Any good? I suppose in principle the heat gets "reflected" back (yes, "radiators" are convectors) and also heat does not go into the outside wall.

2) Any tips on fixing the insulator to the wall? "No Nails" to lining paper? I have seen several such insulators fall off after double sided tape was tried.

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive

I stuck mine on with normal wall paper paste, stayed there for years

Reply to
Sam Farrell

They seem to work

I made my own reflectors for each radiator as I decorated. A bit of

3mm MDF cut to size. Slice a couple of slots up to the height of the radiator brackets. Thick wallpaper past to fix aluminium foil to MDF on both sides and edges. Wait till the paste dries. Drop sheet behind radiator. Easily lifted for dusting and cleaning.
Reply to
Alang

It can look ugly if you can see it by looking over the top of the radiator. It will save money on outside walls although not sure whether it is worthwhile if you have cavity wall insulation.

Never found a way of fixing it effectively when I used it years ago. No more nails will probably work on a sound wall without wallpaper.

Reply to
Invisible Man

A small benefit if installed at the time of installation, probably not worth the effort of retro fitting.

Contact adhesive.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

But if the wall is a cavity & insulated it would act as a heat store anyway - as in brick filled storage heaters.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The idea is to reduce the temperature of the (outside) wall to which the radiator is connected. This part of the wall will be at an elevated temperature due to the convection of hot air nearby, however the foil reduces the heat transfer due to (infra red) radiation. Whilst the wall along with much of the rest of the house acts as substantial thermal store, the heat losses due to the heat of the radiator on the outside wall are worth trying to minimise.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Dunno, but I used it when I replaced my rads a couple of years ago. Seemed silly not to...

Kept it in between the rad brackets so it didn't show.

I've used ordinary wallpaper paste on wallpaper, painted wallpaper and painted plaster with no problem.

Reply to
PM