Bathroom Question: Border or not?

Hi all.

Am having my bathroom tiled this week. I've got all the tiles. Going for large bumpy white tiles on the walls. Dark grey on the floor.

Was just wondering if it was worth having a border of mosaics. I had them done last time and they were done badly.

Without a border is that going to look too clinical? I need to make a bath panel and maybe that could be done with tiles instead to give colour.

I know it's all subjective but I'm rubbish at choosing colours, etc.

Wondered what people have gone for in their bathrooms.

Thanks all.

Ed.

Reply to
Bill

With white tiles I'd tend not to bother. White is very plain and featureless. But as you say, no-one can tell you what taste to have :)

NT

Reply to
Tabby

like it. You may not - but it will give you something to think about.

We chose the paint colour to match, more or less, the blue tiles.

I like it without a border - but it could equally look nice with one.

It is a "clean" finish - but I find it quite pleasant.

You could make it warmer by switching the blue theme to a yellow or red based one.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Some of our tiles have pictures on them to break up otherwise plain expanses of wall. It works well especially as we can put real plants in the bathroom that are similar to the ones depicted in the picture tiles. This is much easier than doing a mosaic proper. But probably academic as you've already bought the tiles. 'Bumpy' also means 'catches more dirt', but it's always a trade off between fashion and practicality. Dark grey floor might also mean more light will be needed.

Spamlet

Well in our bathroom (8' x 6') we have off white (Grey shade end of spectrum not cream end) floor to ceiling large tiles which are matt. On the wall above the spa bath there is a similar colour scheme tile with lightly raised circles/ovals to break up the wall with a silver sparkly mosaic border of 4 mosaic tile height (You get 3 out of 1 full tile that way) and this bright sparkly silver line breaks up the walls at around 1/3rd from floor. Also to cover the wall mounted pipes to the bath, radiator and washbasin I used some curved edge covers/capping from Buildbase in white.

Light very pale grey with flecks in for the tiled floor covered by 2 matching bathroom rugs of the same colour as the headrest on the spa bath.

Window is a cream horizontal Venetian blind which makes for privacy and functionality for shutting out the nasty looking weather.

Ceiling has 3 x 20w Dichroics in giving more than ample light

A few other "feature" tiles can brighten up plain tiles quite nicely. As can a listello border (like a pattered tile dado), eg:

the other trick I saw that worked well with plain white tiles, was to stick a middle row on rotated 45 degrees to give a "row of diamonds" type effect.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.

Best regards,

Ed.

Reply to
Newbie