Gravel border question

Hi,

I just had a quick question - I've got a patio in my back garden with a border around it (about a foot wide) which I'm planning to dig down a bit and cover with gravel. The problem is I'm not sure how deep the gravel should be, which obviously effects how much I need to buy - any ideas on a recommended depth? Also, do I need to put any kind of underlay underneath the gravel or will it be fine just laying it on the soil?

Thanks in advance for any help Alun

Reply to
Alun

Alun wrote on 26 Mar 2008 in group rec.gardens:

If you put the gravel directly on the soil, it will eventually mix with the soil. I would put landscaping cloth underneath.

Be aware that you'll have lots of maintenance with a gravel border. It collects debris that's hard to remove. A blower is only partly satisfactory. If you use pea gravel, it migrates out of the bed, especially witha blower. I used white marble chips exactly ONCE.

Reply to
Steve