Best directions ever - one for Bill Wright

Given that over the years there have been renumbering schemes on some roads, where houses actually change number, it's surprising that these days there are still roads where houses *don't* have consecutive numbers. I remember reading an article about one road which has three houses with the same number on different parts of the road.

Is the convention about LHS odd, RHS even when facing away from the centre of the town/village something that is more often the case than not? Or is it true only about 50% of the time. My experience is that a through road has alternate odd/even but a cul-de-sac usually has consecutive numbering.

Google Maps are good for getting you to the general part of the street, with about the same precision as the postcode: very often if you search for 123 High Street on Streetview, you can be +/- 20 houses. And searching for our house or postcode on Google gives a location about 1/2 mile away, so they are evidently using a database other than the Royal Mail Postal Address File which gets the location accurate to within a 100 metres.

Reply to
NY

A Postcode can cover a whole street, but ours only has 12 houses. I think that further developmenstw as expected when they set this code. There a road near us where No 1 is the fourth house - the three preceeding it all have names. ISTR that previous owners called one of them "Minus One"

Reply to
charles

There's one in Norfolk that covers 7 miles or so.

Part of the UKs problem is that it insisted on have letters *and* numbers which made automated sorting impossible. It's why there's an entirely separate (numeric only) database for quicksort.

When I was at Uni in the 80s, one of my lecturers had worked on an computerised system for sorting mail in the 60s ... they tried to computer read handwriting ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Why can't they sort letters too? Alphanumeric ordering - Ascii has been around as long as quicksort, and about as long as post codes.

Reply to
Pancho

In message <NQbrG.167598$ snipped-for-privacy@fx20.am, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

I know of one village where the houses were numbered chronologically (a classic ribbon development, almost everyone was on the same road), which sort of made sense when people rarely moved around. The village was renumbered some decades back.

People regularly get confused here. The road is T shaped, but all the houses face onto the horizontal, and are numbered from one end. The upright section originally had a different name, but at some point that was dropped and it all got the same name.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

So how do you find out this number. I live in a lane where all the houses have names not numbers - no problems with deliveries.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I used to live on a street in London where there was a no 1, a no 1a, and a no 1b but no no 13.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

It is the local council, not Royal Mail that allocates house names and numbers. For instance, we have no number and no road name. Just a "village" name that really identifies a few square kilometres of area fed from the same roads rather than a village. Royal Mail just lists what the council records according to what post code it lies in. In this case it is entirely up to house (or farm) owners to name their houses and ask the council to list it.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I'll go one better. My postcode is simply a collection of 8 houses more or less in the same place. And mine and one other somewhat removed. It has only one road. And that doesn't have a name really either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was the reading of handwriting that was the problem ... even in the mid 60s it was possible to read *numbers* with a high degree of accuracy.

A high degree of accuracy that disappeared the moment you mixed letters and numbers.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Very much so, yes.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I give them the address. And a description of our house, which is much easier to find than the nameplate.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

They don't usually have numbers 13s on social housing estates because they wouldn't be able to let them.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Really? As opposed to buying a house with number 13?

Given the shortage of social housing, are you really saying the house number would make any difference?

Or is it more likely the estate planners just decided to omit that number anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some hotels do not have a room 101 when they would do if following their numbering system to the rules.

Reply to
ARW

No 13 might have received a direct hit from a V1 or V2 during WW2 and never rebuilt.

Reply to
Andrew

Do big chinese hotels have room 666 ?.

Andrew

The phone book in Fiji lists expatriates under their FIRST name, because of the way they refer to you. !

You would be Mr Adrian, and therefore appear listed under "A".

Lots of Fijians of Indian descent have neither first name nor last name, and their given name does not follow from their parents, hence all official forms have LAST name, FIRST name and F/N or Fathers Name to qualify it where needed.

Reply to
Andrew

This one was even harder to find for many years, and is now impossible to find.

Presumably the Surrey BCO was never involved ...

Andrew

"It would be easier to give you directions if you were starting from somewhere else"

Reply to
Andrew