One for Bill Wright - Emley Moor Masts

Escape car? (Except it's already at the bottom...)

Nice pic :-)

Reply to
Jim K..

A photo of Emley Moors twin masts from as close as you can get you them for those that cannot see it.

I just happened to be passing on my way home from looking at a job and I am sure others will appreciate how good they look just as the clouds covered the top of them.

Now the question.

There appears to be guide lines to the top of the old tower attached to a cable car.

Is that really what it looks like?

Reply to
ARW

In article <WjBHE.553826$ snipped-for-privacy@fx07.am, ARW <adamwadsworth@blueyo nder.co.uk> scribeth thus

In the absence of the RT Hon Bill here's a secret society of those who take pics of such structures like that all the time;!.

Those lines are the stay wires usually under some 8 odd tones of tension and to save the poor saps from having to climb the mast, they get a ride up in that basket to get to the top or as high as the mast has got.

The concrete tower has got a light built in lift that takes 7 mins to get to the top. There are quite a few vids on Utube of people up the top and a few on the ledge outside.

The temp mast is there as they are doing quite a lot of engineering work on the aerials etc and with the power they run it can damage you if close by.

You'll find bill has taken some shots on this site its

err, enjoy!

Reply to
tony sayer

A nice pic?

Even when it's about to start pissing it down, the sun is almost set and the young couple in the car I parked behind panicked when I pulled up behind them.

Whiplash injury? There may well be one considering how fast she moved her head from the lap of drivers seat to the passengers seat head rest.

He stalled his Corsa twice as they drove off.

Reply to
ARW

The last picture exhibits an interesting optical illusion when moved up and down the screen with the scroll-wheel.

What do you call that shape? it's not really conical, the sides have a convex curve.

Reply to
Graham.

Did you discover if there's a public car park?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I would have thought there were less cumbersome ways to get fried by rf than using a cable car?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They all look OK to me can you be a bit more specific?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Rack and pinion, noisey, shakey and tiny, 6 slim people who are good friends at most.

There is a layby before you get to the site entrance when approaching from the village of Emley. Though this has gained gates each end between streetview images dated June 2008 and Apr 2019. Litter bins still present and an information baord.

The site isn't open or have a visitor centre but Arqiva are not averse to arranged visits for members of a group/organisation. Propbably helps if the group/organisation is a "technical" one not a bowls club. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Needs a 'bit' of fill-in flash :-)

Reply to
Andrew

What Tony says. On Jagger Lane, it's not a car park as such. If the gates are closed just park on the road 2 metres away.

And if you do call by then may I suggest a small diversion if you are going home. Set your SatNav for Woolley Scout Camp. This should take you up Bramley Lane by the Woolley Edge services. After crossing the M1 at the top of the hill you then turn right onto Woolley Edge Lane. Immediately on your right after the turn is an excellent viewing point (a proper one that is marked on OS maps) that overlooks the masts. It's then about 1 mile to junction 38 of the M1

Reply to
ARW

It's for hoisting materials to the top. They don't do it vertically as the wind blows it about and it hits the structure.

I remember going there to see the wreckage when the first mast collapsed. We had no telly for a fortnight.

Reply to
harry

They are using cables from the top to ground for modifying the old aerial mast..

Here you are Harry read all about it:!...

tony sayer

The layby is closed while the temporary mast work continues, I think it will be restored to public use once the work is over, and the mast is removed. I think they are using it for storage and rigger parking

Reply to
Mark Carver

You had BBC 1.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It was open when I passed, however it was well past normal working hours.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks.

Reply to
harry

I think the concrete anchor points for the stays of the old mast are still there.

Reply to
harry