Best directions ever - one for Bill Wright

It's a house in Fishlake on Trundle Lane.

My directions were "It's got a caravan on the drive and it's on a left hand bend so it will not be hard to find"

No house number no house name..

Reply to
ARW

Almost opposite Dirty Lane?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You know how I rant and rave about this sort of thing! I fell out with half the village because I moaned on the Facebook group about pizza men getting me out of bed to ask directions.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Friends who used to live in Far Bank Lane carried maps for the first 3 years that they were there, mainly for the surrounding lanes. I spent a lot of time there cycling and driving and still needed a map at times.

Reply to
PeterC

WhatThreeWords ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

53°36'49.4"N 1°01'08.8"W

Took 90 secs. You probably should have asked an apprentice.

Reply to
Pancho

Jethro_uk

That's all well and good, until someone remembers it wrong and ends up in Borneo

Andy Burns

Easier to remember 3 words than a series of numbers for lat/long I reckon.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Very clever, but the point is that people should give tradesmen a proper address.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I sometimes give out an address with what3words.

Reply to
Fredxx

Those new gates will be useful then :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I've had a number of people who live in rural areas who give me similarly vague "addresses" when I'm going to fix their computer. I always try to get a proper postal address (eg house number/name and postcode), and look the house up on Google Streetview beforehand so I know what I'm looking out for.

I had one guy who seemed reluctant to give me the actual house name, and when he gave it me, he said "It's called Willow Cottage, but that won't help you because there isn't a sign on the gate". I thought "how the F do you expect the emergency services to find you if you need an ambulance in a hurry?".

My ploy of using Google does sometimes fall foul of Google's blurring of car number plates, because that often blurs signs with house number/name. Numbers are easy because if you find neighbours whose signs are not blurred, you can count houses from them, and interpolate.

The best way of finding a house is if there's a village map. I found a site that has PDF maps for a lot of villages in parts of North and East Yorkshire.

NY

I heard the RNLI use them too. Since they cover the globe regardless, they're quite a handy tool.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

When I was an agency van driver nearly 20 years ago, and sometimes covering for drivers on leave, it became apparent to me that there were a lot of van drivers who couldn't read maps. It was also the case that most of the companies I drove for didn't give their drivers road atlases, either.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

My brother's house has no number or street name. Basically, the new part of the town grew up around it. But has its own post code.

He usually says to a visitor just look out for the carbuncle. As it's an old house on a hill surrounded by modern ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A lot of people are too attached to the property name because it 'adds value to the property' and refuse to use the number that the Post Office Address File has allocated to the property.

This is why they have so much trouble buying stuff online.

Reply to
Andrew

But everyone knows that real men never read maps, and women simply can't.

Reply to
Andrew

House numbers are allocated by the District Council (or Equivalent). The Post Office simply makes use of them. Here, it is an offence not to display your house number. -- We don't have one, ;-)

Reply to
charles

Do the Royal Mail allocate a number to every house? Our house has a name and no number, as have a lot on our street. They are listed by the names in the list of matching addresses that retailing websites display when you enter a postcode.

Reply to
NY