Best directions ever - one for Bill Wright

That maybe the case but it is the Post Office Address File that matters.

Reply to
Andrew

How are letters addressed to him? Does he give his contact address in the form "Fred Bloggs, Town, Postcode", and let the local postmen decode the postcode into the relevant postman's round? What happens if you go onto the Royal Mail website and do a reverse lookup from his postcode to the matching address(es)? Are there no matching addresses in his case?

Reply to
NY

Charles.L Hope Woodside Ockham Road North West Horsley Leatherhead KT24 6PF

01483 283 856

--

Reply to
Pamela

Wouldn't that be on a 'right' hand bend?

I don't see any caravan in Google maps.

This is a left hand bend when coming from t'north.

Fredxx

Dropped pin Near Trundle Ln, Fishlake, Doncaster DN7 5LL

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Actually the grid reference you have given is to the correct house. But the house with the caravan in it's drive on Google maps is in next doors driveway.

Reply to
ARW

How long does it take to stick a post in the ground and put some numbers in reflective paint on it, I wonder? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Might be best electrified after 10pm till 5am. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I've just been sent an address by somebody. Its in St Ives, but no post code, there at least two that I know of in the UK. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Taxi, or to be more precise private hire drivers, seem to get totally confused round my way. OK the sat nav tells them they destinated, but since both sides of the road have parked cars, nobody in the street in a car can see the house numbers, as the cars are in the way. I strongly suspect the only way out would be a very tall pole in the front garden with an illuminated number, but the local yobs would see this as a challenge. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Also a left-hand bend would be a right-hand bend if you were driving in the opposite direction.

Reply to
Dave W

Google Streetview has never driven down this lane, but the aerial view is not bad although not showing any caravan.

Reply to
Dave W

In some parts of the country at least, only about 30% of farms have a sign at the bottom of the lane to the farm.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

There is the assumption that I am arriving in the village from a certain place.

Reply to
ARW

I know that house...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Irish Post Codes, Eircodes identify precisely the location of the property. Entering just the Eircode into Google Maps is all it takes.

e.g H91 K6E4. will show you Paddys Bar Galway

They were a long time coming and initially people were reluctant to use them. "Why would I need a post code? The postman knows where I live' Yes but when your house catches fire or you have a heart attack you'll know why you need your post code

Reply to
fred

Some lanes in the Cotswolds had farm drives that had more traffic than the lane the other side of the drive. The giveaways were the marks from vehicles and the drive being in better condition than the road.

Reply to
PeterC

sense from their perspective, makes sense to someone with their in depth knowledge.

So, the assumption is that you are approaching from the main road. Looking at the map I suspect this is true, almost everyone does.

There are also two left bends, but one is at a junction, if it were on that one they would refer to it by the junction.

FWIW I gave the house on the corner, it was very obviously on the corner. I didn't look for a caravan as Google satellite pictures are not fresh.

It was actually an incredibly easy direction to follow, the only downside was reduced confidence that it was right.

Often when given a house number it can take ages to find where it is on the road, but you are sure it is right when you find it.

Reply to
Pancho

Address he gives out is:-

His name House name Town Postcode.

Most seem to find it OK for deliveries, etc. Even when you can't read the house name from the road. (The house is situated at the end of a car park for local shops)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is a lot easier to find on a PC than on a smart phone:-)

If there was streetview available you would not believe how well some of the houses are hidden behind the conifers.

House numbers are usually easy in towns. LHS odd RHS even if driving from the centre of the town, estate etc.

Town Moor Avenue in Doncaster is an exception. And my parents at No 13 that live next door to No 4.

Reply to
ARW