One for Bill Wright

Still going strong!

One section I find very dubious:

"I have quite a long run of cable and a small dish. Which cable should I use?

Nobody can calculate it without knowing: ?The dish size and gain. ?Your exact location. ?The Tuner threshold of the Digibox. ?The satellite.

Unfortunately, I'm hopeless at maths and these link budget calculations always leave me scratching my head. But you should be able to find several web site calculators that will do the hard part for you.

Alternatively, simply try it and measure the signal that reaches the receiver. If it's too low, use a larger dish. The choice of LNB will usually make no difference to the signal level."

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

And "CT100 hasn't been manufactured since 2005. Be very dubious about any cable that purports to be "CT100"."

Reply to
ARW

For those of us not in the business, is this company known for some trait or other? Or are you just happy to see that it is still trading?

Reply to
Davey

Maybe it's because he only deals with Webro. There are lots of CT100-type cables that are perfectly good, even if not CAI approved.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'm neither happy nor unhappy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That means that the many km of CT100 I have fitted is OK:-)

I fitted over 500m in the last rewire I did and that was only a 3 bed semi. The Sky man turned up to install the dish and he was going to mount the dish on the front of the house and clip the cables straight down down the wall until he was informed about my installation. Four CT100 cable poking out on the side of the house and all terminated in the house at face plates.

Reply to
ARW

What is this fetish for running cables on the outside wall?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's easier to get to the room you want from the outside.

Reply to
charles

I Have a Question

A question always begins with a capital letter...Be careful to include at least one question mark, otherwise your message will be rejected.

And prominently, on the same page, presumably because someone has taken umbrage, we have:

DYSLEXIC?

1 in 10 people are dyslexic.

We fully understand that many people are dyslexic and struggle to read. There is no shame in this and you'll find Martin sympathetic if you tell him that you are dyslexic when you phone or Skype him.

This site is not dyslexia friendly - there is far too much information to read. BUT WE ARE. Tell Martin that you are dyslexic and he will do his best to explain what you need to know. (If you are not dyslexic, please use email or keep your call short so that our engineer is free to help those who really need it.)

I'm sure the bald gentleman is a lovely fellow when you meet him, but what an odd way to do business.

And what's this fascination with silicone grease?

Reply to
Graham.

They have been around for a long time, and seem to offer decent (if sometimes a little opinionated) advice.

I quite like the first question on this page:

John Rumm

straight

terminated in

Not to the "media cupboard" to feed into a multiswitch that also has DTTV, FM and DAB inputs?

And quicker.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No doubt. And it looks like shit. Not to mention the effect of UV on the cables, and the holes getting drilled through the walls. And the cables just being strung any old how over the gutters.

Last owners here had a veritable forest down one outside wall, looked like they were trying to feed TV through to each room. I had all that ripped out, had the aerial cables taken down the chimney and into the attic via under the tiles. There is goes to an amp and then down to the room with the telly. Once that room was redecorated the cables were chased in. Likewise the satellite cabling, added when the bathroom was redone.

Where the previous lot had added the outside cables, and had holes drilled through from the inside, where the bit had gone through it's blown the brick. So the house looks like it's been strafed by low-flying fighters.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have a media cupboard, with inputs from:

Vertical FM dipole

10 element DAB yagi pointed at London so to get 30 odd london stations as well as 30 odd local radio stations 4 log periodics on Sandy Heath, Sutton Coldfield, Oxford and Waltham 5 Quattro LNB's aligned to Astra2 28.2E, Astra1 19.2E, Hotbird 13.0E, Hispasat 30.0W and Eutelsat 5.0W. 12 security cameras

There are 4 Televes Avant 5 to process the FM, DAB, 12 security cameras (via UHF modulators) and the 4 UHF log periodics, tnen that lot is shoved with the Astra 28.2E into a trunk splitter to feed a pair of 5in

16 out Traix multiswitches and thence on to 32 wall plates.

A 17 in 16 out multiswitch deals with the Astra 1, Hotbird, Hispasat and Eutel 5W stuff.

along side all that theres a 48GBit/s 48 port network switch along with a 9TB 16 channel DVR (for the security cameras.

Oh, and theres the 20 zone alarm system too,,,,

Reply to
I love spam