One for Bill? TV Coax splitter

Currently the loft has a 1 in /2 out splitter with coax connections for freeview TVs.

I now have inherited two additional TVs which I would like to connect up to the aerial. I would like to replace the current 1 to 2 with a 1 to 4 but all the ones I can find seem to use f-connectors which would mean the hassle of changing all the connectors and I can't be bothered to do that as I have plenty of coax connectors but no f-connectors.

So the question is are there any 1 to 4 (or more) splitters that use only coax for both in and out. A supplementary is what coax cable would you recommend for the additional wiring - it will all run inside as its going into bedrooms.

Any links to recommendaed products would be appreciated (and if they are Amazon Prime even better as I'm currently on a free trial).

Thanks Bill (or anyone else who helps).

Reply to
Bev

It's not much hassle, strip outer and inner of cable to suitable lengths, fold back braid, screw on plug

Reply to
Andy Burns

As will be the case for pretty well any of the decent ones I would expect.

I think you are making life harder for yourself. IME its easier and faster to fit F connectors, than it is to do a couple of Belling Lee style coax connectors, plus F connectors are dirt cheap. You would then have easy access to a good range of splitters as well.

A modern coax with both braid and foil screen, rather than the older style "low loss" coax. It gives better noise rejection.

I would normally go to CPC for this kind of stuff, however:

Splitter:

F Connectors:

Cable (25 / 50m):

One final thing to keep in mind, if you have a marginal signal level at the moment, it might push it over the edge splitting 4 ways instead of just two.

(although if your current splitter is a crappy resistive type, you might be no worse off with the better quality splitter and more ways!)

If this does turn out to be the case, adding a pre-amp before the splitter (or buying an "active" splitter with it built in) would usually overcome the splitting losses.

Reply to
John Rumm

Twist on F plugs available cheaply from many Ebay sellers are easy to fit

I've only seen 2 way splitters with TV Coax plugs all the rest seem to be F plug splitters in screened cans. A 4 way splitter will add around another 3dB of attenuation on all outputs so if you already have a weak signal from your aerial this could push your reception over the edge. Perhaps consider changing the splitter for a 4 way amp such as
necessarily from that supplier (and may/will require an additional power supply)

Cable Webro WF100

Bills cable page

alan_m

Labgear loft distribution amp?

I dont think anyone actually makes anything with belling lees on it anymore. Just fit F type plugs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Burns laid this down on his screen :

F-plugs are stupid cheap, but they only work with suitable coax cables.

The modern equivalent of CT-100 is what is needed. Much better quality than the old brown TV coax.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :

I have always been rather puzzled as to why TV's continue to be fitted with Belling-Lee sockets.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Fit f plugs. If they are loose on the existing cables put a turn of tape over the outer sheath and under the folded-back braid. Try a four way 'f' splitter. If this degrades the reception put a 12dB amp in front of the splitter. Or use a one-in four out amp, if you want to spend a bit more. New cable should be CT100 type.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Or indeed the white stuff where you can play hunt the screen on many types, ok for small runs but rubbish for much else and certainly no good for areas where you want to keep interfering signals out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

TLC sell both.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Something which doesn't latch or lock in position? Same as all other TV connectors?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There might be one on a Smart TV. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And an F connector on one with a satellite tuner. Perhaps the Belling Lee differentiates between them?

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
<snip>

Yup.

Possibly.

It's often like that now with amplifiers but I'm not sure how many 'ordinary people' would be playing with such (and the pros would have the right connectors in any case)?

Funnily enough I was faced with just this scenario a while back, helping a family friend. Traced a lost TV signal back to a loft mounted amp and (of course) the best quality / VFM replacement we could get easily had F Type connectors.

Why doesn't everyone fitting these things put them where you can work on them easily? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Reply to
alan_m

Not sure how many would always pay to have a TV delivered and installed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most have a headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because the 'in-house' planning consultant has made a decision,

Reply to
charles

Thak you John and Bill. Orders now placed

Reply to
Bev

Probably a combination of wanting to amplify the lowest noise signal, and that normally favours being close to the aerial, and not wanting to have to double back loads of drop wires (and so add masses of extra cable length to the system).

So "above" where you would logically want to start splitting the feeds off makes sense.

Reply to
John Rumm