Russian aerial for Bill Wright

I may be visiting Berlin next September for a series of visits with a transport related theme but one of them, to the Berlin Technik Museum encompasses a wider range of subjects.

I came across this DIY (allegedly) aerial retrieved from a Russian barracks in the former East Germany:

is a copyright mark which might pose a problem if you want it for your website but, if I can find it next year, I'll take my own picture of it although, as my wife points out, we'd need a week to do the museum properly and we will only have one day!

Reply to
Terry Casey

...snip...

Apparently a very rare find indeed - a woman interested in TV aerials.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

A Double Diamond works wonders.

Graham.

That's really good. A DIY aerial with a socio-political story attached! I'm surprised the feeder has been fastened to the dipole though!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

school building portrayed as a 1959 Russian nuclear missile site.

Reply to
Martin

Sounds like good camouflage. The Kelvedon Hatch nuclear bunker entrance was designed to look like a bungalow from the outside

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I cannot see it of course, but I do recall when you watched East German tv on outside broadcasts via sparodic E they seemed to be using some interesting aerials. UHF Rhombics for example, and a lot or so it appeared, of band three yagis at crazy angles. Made me wonder who watched the band 1 stuff i was seeing. This was in the late 70s.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Many of them did. It was a standard design.

Reply to
nemo

Yes, I thought that too!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Hah. I recall passing one such every few weeks on the way to somewhere and the construction of what was something very substantial and sinister was painfully obvious, with huge amounts of underground excavation and spoil being trucked away every time I saw it. A couple of years later, there was a bungalow, smack bang on the middle of the plot, with a couple of small outbuildings that I'd seen some very substantial pipework going to the bases of. I'm utterly certain the Russkis couldn't have known a thing about it, oh no. Totally discreet it was.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon