Bendy bananas

Now that this Government is finally getting rid of this so called EU legislation, can we have our 100% British bendy bananas back, or are these Brussels pen-pushers still going to interfere with our lives?

Asking for my friend Colin from Portsmouth.

Ben

Reply to
Ben D. Banana

I don't think it is getting rid of the legislation now.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Yep, we no longer have to buy bananas grown in the EU.

Reply to
alan_m

I thought you could always buy smaller or bendier bananas, you just had to buy "class 2" bananas, such as you sometimes found cheaper in Lidl but rarely in Tesco or Sainsbury's.

nib

Reply to
nib

Is there much differnce bewtween bananas from differnet countries as far as taste goes. As a few weeks ago I had some colombian bananas bought from the co-op which I didn't like. They has some small seeds in the centre which tasted quite bitter and stringy in the centre. Not sure if it was a one off bunch but I've avoided buying colombian bananas since.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, the civil service has decided de facto to keep us in the EU. No matter what the people or the government say.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought it was Jacob Rees-Mogg who was personally going to go through all the 'EU Laws', but gave up when all could find was that the EU had sabotaged the distances between the signage in the Dartford Tunnel.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Are you saying we are back in the EU? Can I work in Germany without filling any more forms that a Frenchman would complete?

I know you won't reply because if you looked further you would realise your post is a load of BS.

Reply to
Fredxx

Was that tongue-in cheek? Maybe, but of course we never did have to buy EU Bananas. The only place in the EU with a banana crop of any size is the Canary Islands and they don't produce anything like enough.

We _did_ in the EU have to import bananas from places with certain minimum standards of workers rights and environmental protection and certain simple standards of the product. there was also some favourable arrangement with former colonies I think. It was all good, but brexiters are stupid.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Ah, class 1 - nothing to do with taste, just looks.

Reply to
alan_m

As long as both tongues and cheeks are 100% Anglican.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

We should stick to British grown bananas. Same for tea.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I bought some of the tea grown in Cornwall:

It was terrible. And 40p a teabag.

So... yes.

Reply to
Theo

the Cornish Tea Plantation would be delighted

Reply to
charles

I was given some, after one bag, the rest went in the bin.

Reply to
charles

Sounds like the EU…

Reply to
Spike

Do you mean the bananas were artificially bent by exploited workers? I thought they just grew that way.

Reply to
Max Demian

Also grown in Scotland

Chris Hogg

I think it must be the way they are transported and stored, as all dessert bananas are clones (or, strictly speaking *a clone*). They have to be propagated vegetatively as they are sterile.

Reply to
Max Demian

Or where they are grown. The same varieties of fruit can taste completely different when sourced from different countries.

It could be the weather in the growing season or the minerals in soil, when they are picked as well, as you indicate, transportation.

Reply to
alan_m