Bendy bananas

Oh, be fair. They were actually kept very busy nicking computer equipment and finding ways to conceal all their backhanders from the Tax authorities. :^)

Reply to
Bob Henson

Am 07/06/2023 um 10:58 schrieb Tim Streater:

Another British patriot who moved abroad.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Surely not, now that we have left the EU Bits are no longer allowed to travel abroad. :)

Reply to
alan_m

Our Timmo is in California, best place in the world to preach about good ol' Bri'ish values endangered by the Brussels bureaucrats.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

The class of bananas is more a wholesale issue, where quality as perceived by the ultimate custom, who is able to look at them, comes at a premium.

I can see your point if you wouldn't choose between an insect riddled fruit and one I would prefer to eat. [1]

[1] Why I'm not overly keen on figs!
Reply to
Fredxx

It's hard to understand where your bitterness comes from. The EU rule about bendy bananas was made in response to a request from importers across the EU to rationalise standardised categories for produce. Nothing was banned under the regulation but instead it set grading rules.

Brexiteers lied their way through this, just as you might expect from a bunch of conmen who were trying to sell a pup to the British public.

Reply to
Pamela

You clearly don’t remember the pro-EEC misrepresentation that went on in the lead-up to the 1975 referendum, which showed Remain to be a bunch of conmen who were trying to sell a pup to the British public. And succeeded.

Reply to
Spike

Very true. I voted against it, of course - it was quite obvious what was going to happen. The Great British Public thought it was just a trading agreement - if they had worked out that it was WWII without guns they would have never considered it. The power freaks thought they could use it to their advantage and make money. A few did the latter, but the ones who thought they could gain personal and political power by hanging onto the Germans' coat-tails must have been so desperately disappointed when they realised they had been taken for a giant ride.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Trouble with that line is that it isnt possible for Trump to get any real power given that its Congress that decides what happens, not him and the most he can manage is another term.

He couldnt even get Congress to build his stupid wall.

Reply to
ken

Jeff Gaines snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com wrote

Yes. that certainly is your problem.

Nope, dope. Its not one GROUP or the other and so is about ALL trade agreements.

You are the only one rabbiting on about them when in fact the discussion was about whether post brexit the uk parliament is free to subsidise anything it likes and none of the trade agreements that the EU has has any relevance what so ever anymore.

Reply to
Rod Speed

No he isnt.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And returned.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You really are nodding off, are you not. I returned to the UK 30 years ago.

Reply to
Tim Streater

True, but he can f*ck things up, e.g. by cosying up to Putin and stopping arms going to Ukraine. O'Bama was another up-fucker, who said that chemical weapons use in Syria would be a red line. A stance he then conveniently forgot when his bluff was called.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Hard to see that he grabbed power to be able to do that and given that it isn't the president that imposes the sanctions, he can't even cosy up to Putin by removing them.

Reply to
ken

That wasn't a wafer thin 2 percent but a whopping 2 to 1 majority, which was far less likely to be duped. The 1975 referendum was also different in that Labour was opposed to remaining.

Reply to
Pamela

I’m speaking of the misrepresentation of the case for Remain. That it was successful is a different issue.

Reply to
Spike

It is significant that the more we understood the EU, the less we wanted to be part of it.

I was very apprehensive when Cameron announced the referendum It was too soon, and clearly designed to win support for the EU, defeat the Brexit contingent and push the whole issues into the long grass for a generation.

Like Putin, though, he too was in the (Islington) bubble being told what he wanted to hear. And f***ed up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There seems to be a train of thought that claims that the Brexit-supporting wrinklies will be replaced by young voters who will support Rejoin.

Unfortunately this doesn’t take any account of the fact that the 1975 Remain voters became the Brexit-supporting wrinklies some 40 years later, having fully experienced life before the EU, and the EU in all its forms. Somehow, the youngsters of today simply can’t imagine a world in which they don’t have the comforter of such a nanny state organising their lives for them.

Reply to
Spike

I expected the 2016 vote to be around 60-40 remain. That it wasn't, merely highlights the biases that exist between what the media and politicians would have us believe, and reality.

Here we are able to apply some correctives. In the US with their rigid political system, they can't, and so they'll end up with Wrinkly vs. Wrinkly for 2024. (I speak as someone born the same day as the Trumpster).

Reply to
Tim Streater