Getting rid of the stink of Wood Preserver

Just redoing the bathroom and discovered that there must have been a small leak down the back of the bath at some point as the last two foot of a joist showed some minor signs of rot.

I scraped the rot away (really very minor) and, in the mistaken notion that I was doing the job properly, painted on a couple of coats of Cuprinol 5 Star Complete Wood Treatment.

It's this one, although the half-used can I had in the garage had been there a few years so may have a different formulation:

Four days later the stink of solvents is permeating the house. I've flung the window open but as soon as you close it, the room smells like a cross between a petrol station forecourt and the Coalite plant in Bolsover.

Considering the tiny amount I used -- and that it's recommended for "floorboards and joinery", "roof timbers before laying loft insulation" and "buildings inhabited by bats" -- I'm amazed at the pervasiveness and persistence of the stench.

Anyone got any suggestions for getting rid of or minimising / masking the smell?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mike

I've not BTDT, but expect the one thing that would work would be heat. Maybe a hair dryer

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've used it liberally when replacing facias, etc, although not directly inside habitable parts of the house, and I don't recall any strong smell. You probably just have to give it time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It does smell pretty bad indoors for a day or two in summer when used on exterior woodwork. Never used it indoors and in winter, but I expect it might take quite a while for the solvents to evaporate completely (and I suspect the least volatile ones will be the smelliest).

Reply to
Martin Brown