Repairing Television.

Below is a copy of a message sent to LG does anyone here have any ideas?

No surge in power was observed, TV was working as normal then it was switched off when going out, now will not power No red light, no flashing blue light, nothing.

Have checked the socket is delivering 240 Volts (actually slightly over) The mains switch underneath is definitely on There are no obvious blown caps on the power supply board Both fuses on the power supply board seem intact (they both conduct current ).

Whilst it was powered up power could be detected at the plug going into the power supply board (243V) so the "kettle lead" the mains socket and the TV power in socket are all working.

Apart from the switch underneath is there any power reset switch as the TV doesn't not power on properly it doesn't power on at all?

Is there anything else I could reasonably check or is it new TV time, TV was only manufactured in November 2009? I do not fancy spending £100 repairing a £200 TV.

Reply to
soup

Ooops :- TV is an LG 32LH5000

Also posted to uk.tech.digital.tv

Reply to
soup

soup explained on 26/11/2013 :

The most likely cause is a failed capacitor in the PSU, the trick is in carefully examining each one in turn and replacing the failed item.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sounds like a PSU problem. There may be additional surface mount fuses that have gone.

Not a specific answer, but the following is a very good youtube channel for TV repair tips:

John Rumm

'No user serviceable parts inside.' Most likely a bad electrolytic capacito r in the power supply, or a few of. If eyeballling them doesnt reveal the b aduns, get yourself a £12 ESR meter and test em

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Where do you find ESR meters at that price?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Fleabay or dealextreme

at £20 if you fancy one with a case.

Reply to
Andy Burns

However, it usually pays to replace them all at the same time. I'm not so sure in this case though. One needs to know how the psu works and whether it has some kind of self shutdown process or just trashes the semiconductors when a falt occurs. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Very probable cause of the problem, 'tho unless you have a meter it does mean changing them till you find the right one or ones..

Reply to
tony sayer

Brian Gaff has brought this to us :

Agreed! I vaguely remember it was so common on some of the LG's that somebody started offering a kit of parts on ebay to replace them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

citor in the power supply, or a few of. If eyeballling them doesnt reveal t he baduns, get yourself a ?12 ESR meter and test em

amazon or ebay, I forget which

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , tony sayer writes

When I tried changing them one at a time in a laptop psu, I had a big problem acquiring ones of the right size and at the 2nd "Is it this one?" there was a bang, and I gave up.

I think I'd buy the meter if there ever was a next time.

Reply to
Bill