Getting rid of the gap between kitchen sink and wall/upstand

I'm thinking (quite a long way) ahead to fitting the worktops and sink and want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the sink that always gets wet and manky. SWMBO wants oak worktops and a S/S 1.5 bowl double drainer sink (from Franke) so under-top sinks, corian, ceramic, etcetera are all ruled-out. The ideas I've had thus far are: to build-out the area behind the sink so that it slopes and, when tiled, slightly overhangs the back of the sink, or to fabricate a S/S wrap for the upstand behind the sink such that any water is directed onto the sink. Has anyone come-up with other ways of solving the problem?
On 09/11/2019 12:27, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

I put a S/S filler strip under the back of our sink and the other half is very pleased with it. Had a custom S/S wrapped MDF backed section made - I think it was 50mm x 1000mm and cost about £8 inc. postage so really not worth faffing around.
URL:- https://www.stainlessdirectuk.com/product/mdf-backed-stainless-steel-splashback-13mm-thick/
On 09/11/2019 12:59, Andy Bennet wrote:

That's a useful link, thanks!
Can't you just get in the habit of wiping it dry. Provided the joints are all siliconed it should be okay.
On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 13:41:33 GMT, John wrote:

That was my second thought after sit-on-sink...
--
Cheers
Dave.

That is what we’ve always done and never had any trouble. It just becomes part of the routine after using the sink etc and tidying up the kitchen.

I'd rather not be such a slave to my sink tho.
On 09/11/2019 12:27, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

You are really saying that you want an old fashioned sit on sink.
https://www.selcobw.com/leisure-roll-front-1-0-bowl-stainless-steel-kitchen-sink-with-rh-drainer
Nothing wrong with them. They are an excellent design, and they save on a bit of worktop.
On 09/11/2019 13:41, GB wrote:

......."want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the sink that always gets wet and manky.".........
We just wipe ours but have extra wide worktop which also means that the washing machine/dish washer and tumble dryer have extra room at the back of them for fitting/pipe work etc. It also means that I have doors on the front to conceal the white goods.
Normally what tends to happen is that there is movement of the worktop/sink as apposed to the wall or structure with the tiles and this eventually lets water in as the silicon gets hard with age. I've never found a totally foolproof way myself except every so often redoing the silicon. Not me any more, thank goodness there are limits to blind handyman skills and all that stuff. grin. Brian
--
----- --