The Ikea kitchen sink plumbing thread - with a strong hint of cowboy

Pictures to follow, but I thought I would get the ball rolling.

The waste pipe from the sink is leaking.

On close inspection there is a flexible pipe leading outside which joins into a compression 90 degree bend outside.

The (long) outside pipe run is not clamped to the wall, but is supported by the flexible pipe which (it turns out) is not UV stable and is crumbling to dust.

An example of an Ikea twin sink waste can be found at

which shows a long flexible pipe to acrry the waste.

IMHO that should go into a joint inside the house with hard plastic through the wall and on the outside.

I could potentially replace the Ikea fitting with a new one, but I have realised why they probably did what they did.

There is a retaining wall close to the rear wall of the house to keep the rising ground away from the brickwork. This means that the exit for the kitchen waste has to be above the retaining wall and that in turn means that the long flexible pipe run is potentially too long and I'm not sure if you can shorten it.

Anyway, looks as they had a bright idea which worked for a few years but is now failing.

Anyone know if standard waste fittings fit Ikea sinks, or if I am stuck with the same problem as the original fitters?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Black gloss paint can uv-proof exterior plastics.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Really?, not so sure about that. Besides it is a bit late for this one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Enjoy.

My next step is to go to Ikea and see if I can get a replacement flexible pipe.

At least that gives me the option to repeat the bodge which should be good for a few more years, perhaps more if I paint or otherwise cover the flexible pipe against UV.

I might even manage to fit a pipe clip outside.

If I can't get a spare I may have to bodge the broken bit with plastic bag, zip ties, gaffer tape to last a bit longer until I have more time.

Suggestions for the inside would be welcome. I could perhaps turn the inside flexible pipe (assuming that I can get it) into the biggest U bend known to man but that might have issues about the amount of water pressure needed to make the water flow out swiftly. Zig/zag the flexible pipe?

Anyway, off to Ikea to see if I can get the part.

Exciting times. :-(

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Why not run a standard piece of pipe through the wall and a 90 degree bend immediately on the outside.

Inside, can the top of the trap be loosened so that the output of the trap is at a different angle?

You may then have more options to use a short flexi inside.

Toolstation do two different diameters of

Also

plus longer flexi lengths and push fit variants.

Reply to
alan_m

Apart from the fitter possibly using something kicking around in his van, I can?t see why an entirely conventional series of right angle bends and solvent weld tube hasn?t been used to go through the wall.

I would junk the lot and start from scratch with rigid tubing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Any colour. But first sand the plastic, then use primer, then gloss x 2.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'd ditch the flexible pipe, look for different traps that could save you enough space to do it with rigid pipe and elbows, e.g.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, black is what's required. White paint doesn't cut it. And no, don't use primer or undercoat, just gloss straight onto plastic.

Reply to
tabbypurr

you won't get one I tried last week......discon along with their old kitchen units and doors.......

Reply to
Jimbo

The main issue seems to be that the Ikea fittings are non-standard.

What you see under the sink is the complete Ikea waste fitting kit.

From searching the Internet I haven't been convinced that the fittings to the sink bowls are a standard size.

Anyway, those nice people at Ikea gave me a free replacement flexible hose. Assuming the new kit fits the old kit I have at least a way to make a temporary fix.

I hope to get a rigid tube through the wall as suggested, then fix the Ikea gubbins to it.