Kitchen sink plumbing

At present I have a 2.5 sink with a garbage unit on the middle bowl and dishwasher and washing machine going into spiggots under one of the other bowls.

I want to go down to a one bowl sink which will have the garbage unit underneath. This leaves the problem of disposing of the washing machine and dish washer outlets as I lose them and there can't apparently be spiggots fitted into this pipework.

What would be the method of overcoming this? The problem seems to be to put two spiggots into standard waste pipe.

Reply to
EricP

Some waste disposers have a spigot on the side - with a knock-out plug - for the connection of a dishwasher output etc. Does yours? If so, you may be able to use that - but you'd presumably need a Y-piece to connect the dishwasher and washing-machine outlets together (preferably with non-return valves in both) before connecting the combined output into the spigot.

Reply to
Set Square

My GDU has no facilities for this but it may be a good time to replace it. I will go and see what the outlets on a new one are like.

Cheers for the direction. :))

Reply to
EricP

A Tee branch off to the side of the main waste pipe with two push fit nozzles on it. You know the TEE Branch pipe fittings that have the tapered thing sticking out of the branch. You've seen them in B&Q. Well, two of these tapered bits can be fitted to one TEE fitting, which will take the two appliances to the main waste pipe under the sink.

Main Waste Pipe has one TEE fitting inserted. This TEE has a piece of pipe fitted to its branch. On that branch you fit another TEE fitting on the end. On that TEE fitting you put the two tapered pipes on for the hoses of the appliances to fit on to.

They're called appliance or washing-machine tees' or something silly like that. And you should only need two unless they don't come with all the compression nuts and rings.

Jobs done.

Reply to
BigWallop

Fit a separate stand pipe and trap for the appliances and ignore the sink waste altogether...

Reply to
John Rumm

It is the easy way out but stand pipes are noisy and tend to stink, that was why I did away with it.

Might be the easiest option or a 1.5 sink.

Cheers :)

Reply to
EricP

Dear Mr Wallop

Your words obviously have great wisdom to them, sadly unlike my local B&Q, which will hopefully burn to the ground in the immediate future, thereby saving the waste of electricity.

When I find a B&Q that actually stocks things to sell and does not display on the dump-bin principle, I will be much better off, and able to put your sage advice into practise.

As you can't escape me, I will return!

:))

Reply to
EricP

Two of these

and two of these
one of the Tee fittings in the existing waste pipe with its branch toward the appliances. On the branch, put a piece of pipe that also points toward the appliances. On the end of this piece of pipe put the other Tee fitting, but have it with its branch pointing upward toward the ceiling.

Now, on the Tee fitting, the one that has its branch pointing to the ceiling and is fitted at the loose end of the piece of pipe, put just the appliance spigots from the other two fittings. Connect your appliance waste outlet hoses to the appliance spigots.

If they are all the same size, then they'll fit together properly. Jobs a good 'un' :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

So you're into colonic irrigation as well then?

And cheers for solving my problem. :)

PS Want to emigrate south? I have a nice comfy garage and there's the CH install, the rewiring of the kitchen, the bathroom install, the ceilings to put back and then the decorating. :))

Reply to
EricP

I'm leaving right now. Meet me at the station. :-) Then you can come back with me and help finish off this place. LOL :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Must admit I have never noticed a problem with either of those issues. In fact I have found that the spiggots onto the waste pipes are often louder.

The trick seems to be use a propper u bend at the bottom of each pipe (not a bottle trap), that does away with the smell without adding to the noise. Then stuff enough of the outlet pipe from the appliance down into the stand pipe. That way the water is not falling too far from the pipe to the water in the trap. This keeps the noise dowm. When all hidden away behing the appliance you won't here it over the noise of the appliance itself. Also make sure not to make the join from appliance waste to stand pipe airtight. That way there is no danger of it syphoning water out or making "gluggy" sounds.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well since either this option or Mr Wallop's one will cost me £5.50 to try, I think I will do both in turn to experiment.

Although the GDU does have a knock-out for a dishwasher, as another poster pointed out and I think the flow of the dishwasher waste through a GDU might have a very positive element to clean it as they do stink due to the water lock having to be far away from the sink inlet.

Reply to
EricP

I made the mistake of fitting a spiggot before the trap once at my mums place. Now that was noisy. If the washing machine was emptying you needed to put the plug in the sink if you wanted to hold a coversation in the kitchen!

Reply to
John Rumm

LOL!

Reply to
EricP

Hi,

If this isn't practical BES do a double plumbing out kit, #13761

Tip: when fitting find some way of retaining the cut-out if there is a risk of it blocking the drain.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

What a superb fellow you are! :))))))))))

Reply to
EricP