Kitchen Sink Traps

I remember using one of these (or similar) in such arrangements, presumably to replicate the air gap of the usual standpipe setup...

I think it was mentioned in the then dishwasher destructions so for a few quid I bunged one in in-line...

Reply to
Jimk

I am getting to the point where I need to consider the plumbing of our sink unit which will have a washing machine on one side and a dishwasher on the other. I am considering one of these for the two waste hoses

Any gotchas such as siphoning or other issues using this type of fitting? Currently the dishwasher feeds into something like with no particular issues. The washing machine feeds into a stand pipe type but because of the shape at the back it prevents it pushing all the way back and it is going to be awkward to place a similar type in the neighbouring cupboard.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

My washing machine waste pipe has corrugated walls so it would be difficult to get a good seal to the Screwfix fitting. Moving the washing machine in and out of position is something I have to do to often.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Our washing machine has a corrugated hose but fitted with a rubber end so that should not be a problem making a seal. Having said it now no doubt Murphy's law will apply. Oh well.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I've exactly the same arrangement. Generally works fine, except for the washing machine waste, which is fed from a pump in the cellar - with some force. This then pushes some of the water up into the sink. Never enough to be a flooding type problem, but smelly if it hasn't been used in a while, which I don't much like the thought of.

I tend to put the sink plugs in when using the washing machine, but given the pressure from the pump I reckon it's just a matter of time before something gives. So one of my jobs-to-do is a separate waste for the washing machine.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
RJH