New Kitchen Sink

We will be installing a new under counter sink. What material do you recommend?

We are looking at Cast Iron & Granite.

I would like to buy a sink that meets the following criteria:

(1) Low maintenance (2) High Durability (no scratches and still looks good after a few years)

Also, any thoughts on the color black.

Thanks

Reply to
BGREER5050

The only problem I see with cast is if you chip the porcelain and want to remove it not to easy with granite.But that's a problem with any undermount or tiled in sink. On the up side a Cast sinks have a thicker coat of porcelain than a metal one. I would go with a undermount for granite, they just look grate. As for the color that's really your choice, black might a little harder to keep clean but little is the key word. The color has to work with the granite and the rest of the kitchen. Allot of the undermount sinks are deeper so make sure your trap adaptor elevation works. If you have to change it do it before you install the new sink and counter. You should be able to measure the dept of existing sink compared to the new one and determine if there is enough adjustment. We put a deeper sink in when we did granite it really is a nice option. We did stainless they have come along way, but any type sink can get chipped or scratched. Whatever sink you buy Make sure it has a cut out pattern ( it should) my installers would of charged $200 to make one, I had one. Also when shopping I got better prices from a plumbing supply the HD or Lowes. Decisions Decisions good luck.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

"BGREER5050" wrote in news:1143304045.593906.116100 @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Blanco Silgranit We have one (in black), and love it. It's very tough, it doesn't stain, and it's quiet. The only downside is that it's expensive.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Soapstone.

Reply to
Goedjn

I saw a dark gray granite composite sink in Lowes this week. CHEAPER than most of the stainless/cast iron/acrylic models $199

Reply to
Robert Gammon

Personally, I like Kohler cast iron. I don't recommend the Amer Std Americast sinks, which are made of some kind of SPAM. The downside is you can scratch or chip the enamel finish of any cast iron sink. So, a lot depends on who will be using it and how careful they are. With some common sense, they can last a very long tim. On the other hand, some of the stone type sinks are made to able to have abrasive used to just work out stains. Not sure about granite in that respect.

As for bowls, I recommend getting deep ones. I switched last year and am very pleased with the advantages of a deep bowl. More room and no splash back. I also am a fan of two bowl sinks split 2/3, 1/3, as that gives you a large main sink, with a second good size one there for backup. I don't like the two bowl ones that have a small disposal bowl, as I think they are useless. I want my disposal on the main bowl, where I do prep work. Take a look at the Marsala cast iron sink at Kohler. That's the one I have. Nice feature is it's a single faucet hole sink, with the faucet going where the sink divider is, so the bowls extend all the way back, where the rear ledge for faucets would be, giving you another 2".

Reply to
trader4