Bendy bananas

I retired last year. I've been putting money aside for my retirement for

40 years. I reckon I've got about 20 years left, so I'll be spending it at 5% a year.

Inflation last year ate 10% of my savings.

That's more than I've paid in tax while I was working.

So yes, I want to curb inflation.

Incidentally it doesn't do me any good that the price of my house is stupidly high. I own a house, and its cash equivalent is not accessible. It also doesn't help me if house prices go down to (SHOCK HORROR) what they were last year.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, this is the usual bollocks about how some people are supposedly making out like bandits because the notional value of their house has gone up. As you say, this is not accessible wealth, unless we downsize to a tent. The people whining about this are likely the same ones causing the problem, which is population increase. In this country from 50 to 70 million since WW2. Building

300k houses a year barely keeps up with that sort of increase.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is actually.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You don't have to downsize, let alone to a tent.

None of them are actually self replacing any more.

Only due to migration.

Reply to
ken

And some companies advertising on TV will send someone around and charge you £1.5K for just saying "it is actually". Read carefully the very small print at the bottom of the TV screen.

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

That isnt the only way to make that accessible.

Reply to
Rod Speed